AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Changing text styles between 2011 & 2012...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BRStudio
688 Views, 6 Replies

HELP! Changing text styles between 2011 & 2012...

I would like to preface this post by stating, for the purposes of this message, that I have absolutely no understanding of the workings of AutoCAD. I have looked at many forum discussions concerning my issue and I am simply unable to understand the terminology and/or concepts being described. If you feel you understand my problem, please describe your solution as simply as possible...

I recently purchased a new computer for my office. Accordingly, I needed to install AutoCAD on this new machine. All of the machines in my office are running AutoCAD 2011. However, after addressing some licensing issues with AutoDesk, I received a license and installer for AutoCAD 2012. Everything was installed correctly (as far as I understand) and the program itself is working fine. The problem I am running into involves the text style for the files I open:

For files saved on AutoCAD 2011, the text style used is Arial. Simple; no custom fonts. However, when I open that same file in AutoCAD 2012, the text style for the entire file has changed to Franklin Gothic Book. (Note that all files are accessible from all computers in the office through a network drive)

That is my only understanding of the situation. As I mentioned earlier I have very little understanding of the workings of AutoCAD. I have had this problem for almost a week now and I am no closer to understand this issue, much less solving it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*If there is any additional information needed from my end, please let me know.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: BRStudio

We all have 2012 and 2011, post a sample DWG file that flips only in 2012 but not in 2011.
Message 3 of 7
BRStudio
in reply to: pendean

Please see attachments...

The screen captures attached show what the text looks like when I view the Print Preview screen.

Message 4 of 7
David_W_Koch

The font used in the text I looked at in your file was assigned within the MTEXT objects, and was not the one used by the text style.  The problem, however, may not lie in the font assigned, but in the Line Join Style that your plot style file has set.  These should, in general, be set to Use Object Join Style (which uses the default "Round"), to get "good" results.  The "extra pointy" characters your 2012 file exhibits (what I like to call the "Metallica effect") could be the result of having the Line Join Style set to Miter.  Perhaps the Plot Style file on the 2012 machine has the Line Join Style set to Miter.

I also noticed that you have a custom plot style file assigned to the layout - was that custom style also made available to the 2012 installation?  If not, it may be defaulting to some other plot style file which has Miter set.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 7
BRStudio
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you for your response. However I am having the issue I hignlighted in my original post: "...I am simply unable to understand the terminology and/or concepts being described..." I do not know what I should do next in order to troubleshoot my problem (based on your response). Any direction would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
BRStudio

I am still having the same issue; I am still haveing trouble understanding what I should be doing to fix the issue. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Gary_J_Orr

Is there anyone in your office that understands AutoCAD configuration that you can take this issue to? Otherwise this is going to be a rather drawn out process.

I have attached two screen shots to help you answer the question as to the plot/pen styles mentioned by previous posters:

"More options" shows you how to expand the plot dialog box to see what pen style is being looked for (button in lower left of the "Plot Dialog" box), while "PlotstyleTable" (upper right corner) shows the name of the pen table expected. On my screenshot you will see that "(missing)" is added to the end of the plotstyle name since I don't have that plot style in my system. If yours displays the same way then you don't have it either and you will need to do some configuration to access it, but if you are already lost in the reference to plotstyles then it isn't going to be easy to walk you through checking the configuration on someone elses computer with a 2011 installation and then replicating that on your computer with a 2012 installation... you should probably call in some help.

Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost