AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Management

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
nschwaller
254 Views, 1 Reply

File Management

I need to organize an existing project contained in one dwg file into multiple files using xrefs so that more than one person can work on it moving forward. I have not had to do something like this before, though I have worked in projects already set up in this manner. I was wondering if there was a best practice for setting this up, and how to print a full set from the collected files into one PDF afterwards.

Thanks for the advice!

Note: The complete project will include site, first floor, second floor, demo, rcps, finish plan, power/outlet, interior elevations, sections, along with standard project info and spec sheets. These will be further divided into two phases.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jodisherrell
in reply to: nschwaller

Are you looking for the best process to do this? Or a file naming convention/organization? There's several ways to do it, but I would think none are going to be "easy". I may not know of all the options myself, but here's a few possible processes.

1. In the original file, if you want to create the floor plan, turn off all the layers except the layers for the floor plan. Then wblock it out into a separate file. When you want to do the RCP, turn off all layers except those and wblock it out. Continue wblocking out until you have all the files separated as desired. KEEP IN MIND that when you wblock each plan, make sure to use the same base point so that they all line up nicely when xref'd together.

2. In the original file, isolate the needed layers for a specific plan, then copy and paste them into a new drawing. You can use copy with base point if needed.

In regards to printing all the separate files into a single pdf when finished, if you use the publish command click on Publish Options button and under type, make sure it says "Multi-sheet file".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost