AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPS to DWG

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
nalomeli16
80677 Views, 12 Replies

EPS to DWG

Hi

I need help finding a program that will convert eps to dwg.  My goal is to scale my .eps image and insert into autocad to use.  I don't need to edit the image, just scale it.  

I don't want the image to be rastor/blurry.  I would like to keep the nice clean image.  I've been reading a lot of forums/blogs but have yet found a solution.

Thanks!!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TerryDotson
in reply to: nalomeli16

If this is a one time shot (one file) email it to me dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.  I did one before by distilling it to a PDF then importing the PDF into AutoCAD (we have software for that).  In that case the results were crisp geometry, but it can depend on the source EPS.

Message 3 of 13
bt1138

Adobe Illustrator can probably do that.

BT

Message 4 of 13
jcp
Advocate

You could try Autodesk's free DWF Writer. Print to the DWF Writer and then attach the dwf in AutoCad.

Message 5 of 13
bt1138

DWF writer... Very clever!

Message 6 of 13
nalomeli16

It worked!  Thanks so much!  Another thread had a good idea as well, but this one is far far easier!!  

Message 7 of 13
john-peter.lindberg
in reply to: jcp

Hi! lets wake this thred up!

How do I open the eps-file in AutoCAD to be able to print it with the DWF-printer, or what am I missing?

Message 8 of 13

AutoCAD doesn't import or open EPS files.
Message 9 of 13

Ok, so I´ve to print from Adobe with the DWF-printer then?
Message 10 of 13

DWF writer is just too old to bother with in 2017. Last updated around July 2010 per the AutoDesk Readme. I tried to plot from PDF to DWF with it, it made a file but I couldn't open it with 2018 Design Review. Plus, if you wanted to plot from EPS to DWF with the DWF printer, you would still need a viewer...

A better way is to use a program called Inkscape (you could call it an open source Adobe Illustrator clone). Open the EPS with Inkscape, save as DXF. (you'll need to experiment with the save as DXF options a little to get the best results).

Then, just import DXF into AutoCAD.

Message 11 of 13
rbcastor
in reply to: mdj793

Inkscape worked well for converting .ai to .dxf, but it doesn't look like the current version will open .eps

@mdj793 wrote:

DWF writer is just too old to bother with in 2017. Last updated around July 2010 per the AutoDesk Readme. I tried to plot from PDF to DWF with it, it made a file but I couldn't open it with 2018 Design Review. Plus, if you wanted to plot from EPS to DWF with the DWF printer, you would still need a viewer...

A better way is to use a program called Inkscape (you could call it an open source Adobe Illustrator clone). Open the EPS with Inkscape, save as DXF. (you'll need to experiment with the save as DXF options a little to get the best results).

Then, just import DXF into AutoCAD.

Message 12 of 13
mdj793
in reply to: rbcastor

It works for me on Windows 8.1, 64 bit, Inkscape 9.2.1 64 bit (latest as of this reply is 9.2.2).

9.2.2 is a bug fix release, they shouldn't be removing any features. So if you're having issues you think might not have been reported yet (and a few minutes of free time), check your version number and notify the Inkscape development team.

You could also try an older version in the meantime, looks like they are good at making many previous versions available for download.

Message 13 of 13
cpennetti
in reply to: mdj793

I tried a few things listed in this post without success.  I then looked at it as attachment from my phone (Android P) and it opened up in the Adobe Reader app.  I could then save the eps to a PDF, and then PDFIMPORT in cad to get the linework I needed.

Just another thought.

I also had someone covert from AI to DXF, which turned out even better, but the workaround from my phone got me started.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost