AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Styles

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
leothebuilder
938 Views, 6 Replies

Door Styles

I am trying to create some different door styles showing timely metal jambs.

I copied a standard interior door and assigned a new door style. (for a 4 inch wall)

Attached new view blocks for the door jambs, all no problem.

Now I copy this door style and assign it to a new style for a 6 inch wall.

Attached new view blocks for wider door jambs.

Problem is, the old door style now shows the wider door jambs as well....

I thought by copying and assigning they are totally separate and different.

What am I missing here.

Leo

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I have the file attached...2011 version

Maybe there is a way to have the frame width auto-adjust to the wall width...

If there is, I haven't been able to fugure it out

Message 3 of 7

Sounds like you are attaching the custom blocks for your jambs at the Drawing Default level, which will affect all doors.  If you need different blocks for different styles, you will need to add them as a Style-level override.

You can get custom blocks to scale to different frame depths and widths.  If you include two points in your custom bloclk on the Defpoints layer, at diagonally opposite corners (representing the diagonally opposite corners of the default frame component), then the block will be scaled to keep those points aligned with the default frame component's extents.  To make it adjust to the wall depth, your door style would have to have that toggle checked.

Note also that your custom block can be drawn bigger than the boundary of the rectangle represented by the points on the Defpoints layer, if you want.  (To have the frame project beyond the surface of the Wall, for example.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 7

Thanks David,

By the time I read the response I had figured out to use the overrides.

Problem I still have is the auto-adjust on the wall thickness.

I have drawn my custom block to the correct throat opening to suit a 3-5/8" stud wall with 5/8" drywall both sides.

That works fine for that wall, but for a 6" stud wall I can't get the jamb to auto-adjust.

What would be best to use as the insertion point for the custom block?

The center of the block, or one side of the wall......

Message 5 of 7

You need to scale the block by Depth to get it to stretch.  Unfortunately, that will also scale the amount that the frame projects beyond the Wall and will also scale the depth of the stop, but likely not maintain the desired depth on the rabbets.  If that matters, but you do not want to have separate Wall Styles/Custom Blocks for different Wall thicknesses, then you might be able to improve the looks by breaking the block up into separate blocks for the projecting part and the scaling part.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7

Thanks David....

I'll probabably stick with two...one for 3-5/8" stud and one for 6" stud.

I noticed what it did when you allow them to scale to the wall width.

Message 7 of 7
ntellery
in reply to: leothebuilder

btw way Leo, not going to help you here, but by placing POINTS on the defpoint layer inside the blocks you are using, you can change the width, depth, height that the style sees when stretching the block.  So by placing points back where the frame lines with the wall, it can assume that is where the width is to be stretched from.  As said already, unfortunately there is no way to get a portion (inside) to stretch and leave the outside as sized, although 2 separate blocks could achieve this.  (might as well do 2 blocks).

This is the same for a surround that needs to sit on the outside of a frame as demo'd on Archidigm.com sometime back.

HTH's

cheers

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost