AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Remarks in schedule problem

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mhamson
686 Views, 4 Replies

Door Remarks in schedule problem

OK. So I hope I explain this clearly enough that people can understand me.

We have an existing floor plan as an 'Element'.

We have the new walls and doors as an 'Construct', with the existing floor plan 'element' X-Ref'd in as an 'attachment'.

The door schedule is in a 'View'. It schedules the information from the construct.

The door schedule in the 'view' seems to list all the correct information but if we make a change to the "remarks" in the Existing Plan 'Element' it does not come through the the schedule. It seems to be getting the remarks information from property set information in the construct instead.

If we tag the existing door (which resides in the element) in the construct and modify the "remarks" associated with that tag it shows up correctly in the schedule...but that information does not show up in the property set for the door in the 'Element"

There seems to be 2 copies of property set information for the existing door...1 in the element and 1 in the construct.

Is there a way to get this schedule to correctly read the property set inforamtion from the Existing Floor Plan 'Element' that is being xref'd through the 'construct'.

I tried deleting the "door object" property set from the existing plan and then retagging in the construct. The information doesn't get passed to the existing plan 'element'

Confused by the description?

I'm confused writing it.

mhamson

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: mhamson

The behavior you are seeing is "by design".  Elements, by definition, contain geometry that does not have a specific location in the project until the Element is placed on one or more Constructs, in one or more locations.  Since an Element can have multiple instances placed within a project, ACA needs a way to see an object within an Element as unique for each instance.  This is done by placing a Property Data Override for object-based Property Sets at the Construct level for each instance of the Element.  This allows the Doors in your example to have different door numbers, for example.

If I recall correctly (it has been a while since I have used this feature), the initial property values for manual properties (excepting auto-increment properties) after placing an Element will be the same as those assigned in the Element, but once the override is in place, the Schedule Table will read the override values, and any changes made in the Construct will be to the override values.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
mhamson
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Ok. That answers my question on what is going on. Make a lot of sense to me now.

Follow up...question...

So...if i go into the construct pick and the tag of the existing doors, I can delete the "door object" property definition through properties palete. This should delete the override from the 'construct' leaving the original "door object" property definition from the existing plan 'element' to show in the schedule.

Correct.Smiley Happy

mhamson

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: mhamson

Without setting up a test project to verify, what you say sounds right, and works in a simple external referenced situation outside of a Project environment.  Keep in mind that once you remove the override for a given Property Set, all properties will be derived from the Element file. 

So yes, you would be able to set the Remarks value for a Door in the Element file and have that value apply to all instances of that Door/Element file in your Constructs.  But that would also apply to properties that you may want to have different for each instance, such as the Increment for the door number.  (If your Element is a building core that only occurs once per floor, and you want the door number (and therefore the Increment value) to be the same on all floors, then that may not be a problem.  But if you have an Element that represents a typical room that gets repeated multiple times on one floor, then you would not want the Increment value to be the same.  In that case, you could split out properties that you want to be the same for all instances into a separate Property Set, and only remove the override for that that Property Set (or simply never apply that Property Set with your Door Tag, so it does not get added in the Construct).  You would also have to rework your Schedule Table Style(s) to pick up the revised property, and, if you have any, Schedule Tags that reference any moved property.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could have the Remarks value in a Property Set for which you remove the override, and then, in a Property Set that does not have the override removed, set up a manual, text-type property that would allow the user to enter an "override" value for the remarks column.  Provide a default value for that override property that would never be used as a "remark".  Then add a formula property that tests the value of the override property.  If it is set to the default value, the formula property would pass through the value of the remarks property from the Property Set that has the override removed (Element value).  If the override property has a non-default value entered, the formula property would then pass the override value through.  The formula property would be the one you add to Schedule Tables or Tags.  If you were clever, you might be able to put the formula property in the original Property Set and use the same name ("Remarks", if you started with the out-of-the-box properties) for the formula property, avoiding the need to edit the Schedule Table Style.

You may find a somewhat obscure command, PROPERTYDATABROWSE, useful when trying to manage property data overrides.  The Browse Property Data dialog will allow you to choose a Property Set and, if you desire, an Object type, and see a list of all of the objects in that file (including those nested in external references) that have that Property Set attached.  Check boxes indicate whether the Property Set is attached in the current file and/or in the external reference file (where applicable).  For objects in an external reference, you can toggle the Propery Data Override in the current file on or off.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
mhamson
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I was able to remove the property set data in the construct and allow the element property set info to come though. Worked like a charm now that i understand it.

Great additional Info.

More than I needed...but that is why i come back to this site. I may need that in the future.

Keep up the good work.

mhamson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost