AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Display Single Line

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jliston
1628 Views, 4 Replies

Door Display Single Line

Is there any to get the single line display into the medium or medium low rep by object? I see the only place to get it is to use the High Detail rep by object. Normally in a high detail would you not want a double line for doors? and use a single line for concept in the medium low? I would like to see the ability to have the single door in all display reps by object.

Joe

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jliston

I am not quite certain that I understand what you want.  Here is my understanding of the out-of-the-box settings:

Low Detail Display Configuration [DC]

The Top View Direction uses the Plan Low Detail Display Representation Set  [DRS], which has the Plan Low Detail Display Representation [DR] for Doors active.  This DR does not show frames (the width of the gap in the Wall is equal to the Door width plus the width of the frame on either side) and shows the Door panel as a single line.  It is meant for very small scale drawings (perhaps 1/16" = 1'-0" or 1/32" = 1'-0" or less for imperial drawings) where accurate opening and swing sizes are not critical and showing double lines for the Door panel is not necessary.

Medium Detail DC

The Top View Direction uses the Plan DRS, which has the Plan DR for Doors active.  This DR shows the frames and shows the Door panel as a rectangle.  It is meant for intermediate scale drawings (perhaps 1/8" = 1'-0" to 1/4" = 1'-0" for imperial drawings).

High Detail DC

The Top View Direction uses the Plan High Detail DRS, which has the Plan High Detail DR for Doors active.  Like the Plan DR, this DR shows the frames and shows the Door panel as a rectangle.  It is meant for large scale drawings (perhaps 1/2" = 1'-0" or larger for imperial drawings).  The display here is the same as the Plan DR for Doors; other objects have a more detailed display (or a different scale factor on component hatches) that is appropriate to the larger scale.

I am not certain why you would want to show less detail (a single line) at the larger scales for which the High Detail DC would normally be used.  If you can live without showing the Frame component, you can always modify the DRS used by the DC to use the Plan Low Detail DR for Doors.  If you want a DR for Doors that shows the frames but has a single line for the Door panel, then you will need to copy either the Plan DR or Plan High Detail DR for Doors and, in the copy, turn off the Door panel component and add a custom block for the Door panel that consists of a single line.

If I have totally misunderstood what you want, post back with a more detailed explanation.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jliston
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Sorry I took so long getting back David. What i noticed was that the high detail Door RBO (Representations By Object) has an option for single line doors under the Other tab. None of the other door RBO's do. Plan is hardwired to show double line doors. Plan Low Detail is hardwired to show single line doors. If I am missing a way to change them in the Plan & Plan Low Detail, I don't know where it is. The question I am asking is why are given an option in Plan High Detail and not in the other door RBO's. I think it is a matter of personal preference. I do contract work and some architects line single line doors and some like the double line doors, some dont care. I just thought it would be easier to give the user the option to change in each Door RBO than having to create different ones to accommodate the different door styles & display reps. I am probably being as clear as a politicians answer. Hope this helps

Joe

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jliston

Politicians can only wish that they could speak that clearly.

I see what you are saying now.  I cannot say I have ever noticed that toggle on the Other tab for the Plan High Detail Display Representation for Doors.  I agree with you that it is odd that they provided that option for the Plan High Detail but not for the Plan, since the default for both is to draw the panel as a rectangle.

The Plan Low Detail has always been a simplified display, with just a line for the Door Panel, and no frame.  I have never liked this Display Representation, since it shows the Door Panel and Swing the size of the entire Wall cut (door opening width plus two frame widths), making the Door appear larger than it really is.  Not sure if doing so would mess up the Wall's display, but I would have preferred having the Wall fill in where the Frame would be, and leaving the Door Panel and Swing sized the same way that they are in the Plan and Plan High Detail Display Representation.

If you have clients that want a single line Door Panel (at the correct size) with Frames showing, you could edit the Display Representation Sets that currently use the Plan Display Representation for Doors and substitute the Plan High Detail Display Represntation with the single line panel toggle checked.

If you want to preserve the ability for the Plan High Detail to show the panel with a rectangle, while having a single line for the Medium Detail Display Configuration, you can duplicate the Plan High Detail Display Representation and use the duplicate, with the toggle checked, where the Plan Display Representation is currently being used.  That would also give you access to the Frame Display tab at "Medium Detail", if that is of any use.  The attached ZIP file has a drawing file in which I duplicated the Plan High Detail Display Representation (calling the copy Plan Single Line) and then checked the "Draw panel as a single line" toggle on the Other tab.  I then duplicated the Plan Display Representation Set, called it Plan Door Panel Single Line and kept everything the same except for turning off the Plan Display Representation for Doors and turning on the Plan Single Line Display Representation for Doors in its place.  Finally, I copied the Medium Detail Display Configuration, calling it Medium Detail Door Panel Single Line (rather long for a Display Configuration I would want to use on a daily basis, but this was just an experiment for me) and changing the Display Representation Set assigned to the top view from Plan to Plan Door Panel Single Line.  The layout tab in the file has labeled viewports showing the display of the same Door for the Top view direction using the Low Detail, Medium Detail, Medium Detail Door Panel Single Line and High Detail Display Configurations.

Side Note:  The Frame Display tab allows you to control the way the Frame component displays.  One of the Options is "U" shaped, which does not draw a line at the Wall side of the Frame.  By setting up a Wall Opening Endcap Style to have an open end on the Wall, setting the Frame to be "U" shaped, with no offsets in Door Styles set to have the Frame depth be equal to the Wall Depth, and setting the Frame component to display the same way as the Wall, you can get the equivalent of the Low Detail Display Representation, but with the Door Panel and Swing at the actual size.  Unfortunately, you cannot control the Wall Opening Endcap Styles in use by the Display Representaton, so getting things to look good for that Plan Low Detail equivalent setup would likely mess things up for the other Display Representations.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
jliston
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David. You confirmed what I thought would be the solution. Seems like a lot of work when a simple check box would suffice. I encountered the same issue with the single line door including the frame width. I thought at first I could change the properties to be to inside of the frame. However, it was already set to that setting. Hmmmm.

Do you know what an elephant is? It is a mouse designed by Autodesk. 😉

Thanks

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost