AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions and mtext won't appear in paper space?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
beth89
80520 Views, 9 Replies

Dimensions and mtext won't appear in paper space?

I am currently working on a section cut for part of my final CAD project in version 2011, but I am having problems with the annotative dimensions appearing in the paper space.  I tried copying and pasting a viewport where the dimensions appare, creating a new viewport, etc.  No matter what, the dimensions will not appear.  Also, I've tried putting the dimensions on various text layers, and it STILL will not appear.  The layers are not frozen in either the viewport or model space; I made sure to check both.  However, in the same viewport - other dimensions show up.  I just don't get it.  Please help, as I have a deadline.

Thanks!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
J.A.Mounteer
in reply to: beth89

Try setting annoallvisible to 1.  If the missing information shows up then your annotation scales are different in the two drawings and you need to review them.

Message 3 of 10
beth89

Hello, thanks for your quick reply!

I selected the dimensions, and typed in "allannovisible" and set the value to 1.  Still, the dimensions won't appear in that viewport.  I have several viewports on the same sheet, yet the dimensions appear in those.  However, whenever I create a new viewport, or copy and paste an existing one with dimensions that DO appear, the new dimensions that I need won't show up (even though they are on the same layer).  At a complete loss here, and this final is due Thursday.  Maybe I did the allannovisible command wrong; not sure.  I don't know what to do!

Message 4 of 10
J.A.Mounteer

What are the annotation scales (not dimscale) of the dimensions that are going missing vs the scale of the viewport you are dragging on to the sheet.   If these are different they won't show because AutoCAD recognizes you are placing a different scale drawing than those annotations were placed for.  Even if it's off by a little bit the dimensions will go away. (i.e. the annoscale is 1/4" and the viewport is scaled to .487 instead of .48, something that's easy to do if scaling viewports manually vs dragging and dropping named modelspace views)

The annoallvisible variable turns this feature off when set to 1.  I don't recommended you keep it that way however,  I was only suggesting it as a way of discovering if this was the problem.

You don't need to select the dimesnions, because Annoallvisible is a system variable.  You should be in the paperspace mode of the layout or sheet that you're having problems seeing the dimensions in when setting this, not the drawing where the dimensions were created.  My apologies for not being clearer.

Also note it's annoallvisible and not allannovisible. Since you said you were able to set it I think you were simply mistyping in your reply, but it pays to be certain.

Message 5 of 10
beth89

Hello, yes - I did type it incorrectly in the reply (but it was correct when putting it into CAD).

What you said is correct - it was a problem with the scale.  I was able to meet with my TA last minute, and she was able to get the dimensions to show up.  What worked was:  Under the annotate tab, I had not specified what type of annotation it was.  Selecting "Lettering" allowed it to work, and THEN changing the scale like you suggested.  I needed my section cut at 1" = 1'-0", and adjusted the annotations accordingly.  Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 10
phuppi

I was having a similar problem, I could see all dimensions appropriately in model space, but not in both of the viewports that were located in paper space.

Easy fix was just to create a new viewport and zoom back into what you want to see.

Message 7 of 10
bevlex101

Try modifing the specific Dimension Style and click FIT tab and under the SCALE FOR DIMENSION FEATURES uncheck the ANNOTATIVE box. 

Message 8 of 10
ntanner
in reply to: J.A.Mounteer

Thanks for this help.  I couldn't get the dimension to show up and it was that I had different annotation scale set in model space vs what my viewport scale was.

Message 9 of 10

thanks for that, I was having the same issue and this fixed it! 

Message 10 of 10

ANNOALLVISIBLE>1 WORKED PERFECT FOR MY PROBLEM TOO. THANKS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost