AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different wall types suddenly cleaning up w/ each other

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Matasovsky
773 Views, 7 Replies

Different wall types suddenly cleaning up w/ each other

Having something very strange happen out of the blue.

Have wall types like lightweight block (Component Priority = 300) and stud gyp walls (Component Priority = 500) suddenly cleaning up w/ each other.

Hasn't been happening before when base lines extend to each other, but suddenly on this new project they are.

I am expanding on my modeling w/ this project.  I taken another step in 3D modeling w/ ACA and am extending walls vertically to multiple floors and referencing the base floor plan into (below) the base file of the second floor.  Everything is working as I expected and set up EXCEPT for this one thing.  Hard to point to this as the difference because I'm having this issue on the first floor....where the reference issue is not part of the equation.

Also, know there is a way for my lightweight block walls on the second floor to clean up/merge w/ lightweight block of the exterior walls being referenced in...but can't find where that "check box"/switch is.  Found it many moons ago, but didn't need it then.

Any help on this and a second unrelated post coming is GREATLY appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KathyMoffa
in reply to: Matasovsky

The clean-up setting you're looking for is the OSNAP drafting setting,  "Allow general object snap settings to act upon wall justification line". 

Message 3 of 8
Matasovsky
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Nope.  Tried it checked and unchecked.  Still getting stud/gyp walls (500) cleaning up w/ lightweight block (300).

Appreciate the attempt.

Message 4 of 8
David_W_Koch

If the instances of the two Wall types in question are both in the same Wall Cleanup Group, then I would expect them to cleanup with each other. Given the priorities listed (and assuming that the Wall Styles are single component Walls, the lightweight block Wall should be running breaking the stud gyp Wall. (If they did not cleanup, they would just overlap.) Had you set up separate cleanup groups on previous projects to have the Walls just overlap? Or are you saying that the two Walls are cleaning up as if they had the same priority? If the latter, what components are you displaying - shrink wrap only or do you have the components turned on as well? In order to clean up with an externally referenced Wall, the Walls have to be in the same cleanup group and you need to enable that in the Wall Cleanup Group Definition.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8
KathyMoffa

Sorry for not being clear.  My reply was to the last part of your posting regarding your block walls on the second floor cleaning up with the exterior walls being referenced in.     When you draw your second floor walls with the exterior walls xrefed in, OSNAP has to be toggled on, and the "Allow general ...." setting checked.  If you draw your walls with OSNAP off and/or the setting unchecked, they won't clean up automatically when those settings are turned on.  

Message 6 of 8
Matasovsky
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David:

So, I can't just have a Wall Cleanup Group that is "New".  I have to have one that is "New-CMU" and "New-Stud_Gyp", etc?

Right now Double 45 degree hatch for block and AR-Sand hatch for stud/gyp clean up w/ no line between.  I thought in previous projects when those baselines touched it provided that separation line.  Maybe I'm imagining that?

Will look at it and may need to revise my cleanup groups and the tools they apply to....

Second part is still an issue.  Check/Unchecked the "Allow AutoCAD ..... in the OSNAP menu.  Pretty sure that deals w/ OSNAPS being able to snap to BOTH sides of a wall, rather than just the base line.

The other issue I'm trying to figure out/remember is how to get walls in my second floor base plan to exterior walls being referenced in from the first floor.  I know there's a way to do this because I read about it and specifically set it to NOT do this because I didin't want it at the time.  Now I do and can't remember where the setting is.  Is it in PN?  Options?

Message 7 of 8
Matasovsky

@ David

Got the answer to the second following your answer to the first.

Settings for wall cleanup between xrefs are in the definition of cleanup groups.

Thanks for Both!

@ Kathy

Thanks for your efforts as well !!

Message 8 of 8
David_W_Koch

If both Walls are in the same cleanup group, the Shrinkwrap component will not "go through".  If that is the only "line" component you have turned on in your current display settings, then you will not get a line between the Walls at their intersection.  If you turn on the display of the Boundary components for Walls, you will get a line between components of different priorities in different Walls when they cleanup.

See the attached image.  The heavy green lines are the Shrink Wrap component.  The Color 11 lines are the Boundary component lines of the CMU, which in this case (out-of-the-box Medium Detail) are controlled by the Plan Linework component of the Masonry.CMU.Stretcher.Running Material Definition display settings.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost