AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Component Manager in ACA2010 - Working with old drawings

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
KiwiTapp
351 Views, 3 Replies

Detail Component Manager in ACA2010 - Working with old drawings

Hi, I have a "funny" situation happening with Detail Component Manager (DCM).
We recently upgraded the office to ACA2010 over a weekend, uninstalling all previous versions and doing registry clean ups before loading ACA 2010.
I am a big user of DCM, however, when I opened up one of my previous drawings to continue detailling the DCM wouldn't appear. Like when you pick the DCM icon - nothing happens.
But ....
When I open a new drawing - using the ACA2010 template dwg - DCM works.
So I inserted the old DWG into the new DWG which I know works. Pick the DCM icon - DCM still working.
Explode the inserting drwg block - DCM now doesn't work.

I have checked it out on other PCs in the office and same thing.

Re-installed the .net thing - made no difference. Autodesk help people - no help! They couldn't replicate the problem. But is is real!!

Maybe discussion group may have an answer. Bill

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sam.chan
in reply to: KiwiTapp

Hi Bill,

Please try the following things and let me know what you find:

1. Get the old mdb files (the one you used before the upgrade)
2. Copy them into other location
3. Add them/register them using Options dialog

Does this solve the issue?

Also, when the DCM doesn't pop up, do you see any message in command prompt window? If you do, what is that?

Thanks,
Sam Edited by: sam.chan@autodesk.com on Dec 10, 2009 10:07 PM
Message 3 of 4
KiwiTapp

Yes this does solve the problem Sam.

Note the following:

- Previously I was getting a message at the command line "AEcDtlCompManager There are no Detail Component databases specified. Please set databases at the Aec Content tab in the Options dialog" In fact I had registered a data base.
- I needed to copy the full directory - not just the mdb file. When I tried it the 1st time after copying just the mdb file it came up with an error - it was looking for an xml file.
- I needed to unload the previous database before registering the old one as I was getting a message " a database with the same GUID ***** already exists"
- Just to test it again - I reversed the procedure & went back to the old mdb file - and the old situation re-occurred.

We use a shared directory on our server for coordinating our DCM. I have created an "old database" directory adjacent to the new one so in future (when / if this happens) I can instruct the user to use this one instead. I anticipate that this will only be when using old legacy projects.

Thanks very much. (Sorry about the late reply - was away from work desk for a couple of days) 🙂

Bill
Message 4 of 4
sam.chan

Hi Bill,
Sorry for the late reply as I was away from the office. Thank you so much for your note and observation.
Sam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost