AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom stair question

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Oilymo
430 Views, 9 Replies

Custom stair question

All,

We have a problem with a custom created staircase, see attached drawing (in ACA 2012).  For some reason this staircase created using the "create from linework tool" fails to change when we change styles.  You'll also notice that the risers/treads don't display properly

All help greatfully received.

kind regards

Ben

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ntellery
in reply to: Oilymo

I could be wrong but I haven't found custom built stairs from linework very flexible once created.  Generally a linear process in one direction.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 10
MarySeufert

I believe that the custom stair down was not created in the correct order, which is affecting how the treads don't display. You would want to start at the current level going down, not at the lower floor going up to your working level. When it is created that way, you would set that stair's vertical orientation to down, elevation 0. That would help some of the display issues IMO.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: MarySeufert

Mary, Nathan,

Thank you for your prompt responses.  We've tried to redraw and it appears if we have too many winders then the stair tool "falls" over.  Adesk any ideas?

Kind regards

Ben

Message 5 of 10
MarySeufert

Have you considered multiple stair objects for each flight of stairs? Not ideal of course. Which method of creating custom stairs are you using, linework or treadprofile? If you haven't tried one of them maybe give it a go.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: MarySeufert

Mary,

We normally use the linework to stair unless it's a straight flight.  We have tried (over the years) to get the winders to work but they simply will not play ball.  We've tried multiple objects however we do a lot of customer modelling and when  it comes to modifications this is a lengthy process hence the linework to stair option.

We think we've found the issue on this one and that is the number of winders on the corner, 3 works fine but 4 causes the remaining treads to disappear

Thanks

Ben

Message 7 of 10
ntellery

I couldn’t open your drawing (“drawing not valid”) but I can see the bitmap in Windows explorer.
We often have 3 treads on a corner, all radius’d within the square turn and not splayed up or down the landing as the defaults seem to do. I’ve also found it near impossible to do but it could be just my lack of skills with the stair tool. (I’ve not messed with it like I’ve messed with the roof tool). We can have a U shaped stair with 2 such corners (ie. 2 x 3ea windows tight within the square and the stair itself turned against itself and it just doesn’t create. I generally have to give it a slight gap (1mm) inside (maybe that is like the roof tool!).
So like you I draw it and convert linework. I’ve got away with it for so long because I generally only do design work and pass it on to someone else to finish off and that’s in 2d anyway.

I have one in my library for cut & paste that is concrete that works (not from linework). If I change the style to timber, it fails!
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 8 of 10
Victoria.Studley

Hi Ben,

I see that you recreated the stair in question, and that when you include more than 3 winders, the remaining treads disappear.

• Do the treads disappear in Plan only? Or do they disappear in 3D, elevations, or sections as well?
  • Could you provide a screenshot, showing the difference between 3 winders and 4? Or an updated file to test?

If the issue is only with the display of the stairs in Plan, have you tried adjusting the Cut Plane for the stair?

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 9 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Victoria,

The winders only disappear in plan, in 3D the staircase displays correctly.

I attach the latest drawing in ACA 2012 for you to test

Kind regards

Ben

Message 10 of 10
Victoria.Studley

Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting the file. I'll take a look, and see if I can come up with something that works for you.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost