AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Custom door jamb

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nextvkin
1491 Views, 5 Replies

Custom door jamb

Hi,

In my previous post of the same subject, I managed to create a door style using a custom made profile for the jamb (thanks leothebuilder). However I have been having a lot of problems trying to make the door leaf sit properly between the jambs. Attached is what I'm trying to achieve - is that possible in ACA? (BTW this was done in Revit).Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: nextvkin

So what you want is for the plan view of the door panel to offset 5 mm away from the wall face, to align with the face of the hollow metal frame and to offset some undetermined amount (2 to 2.5 mm, perhaps) away from the edge of the door opening?

Sure, you can do it, by using custom blocks for the door panels (and, most likely, for the unshown door swing graphics, if you use those) and then turning the out-of-the-box components off.  That could be a lot of work, for what in my mind would be minimal payoff.  I suppose it depends upon how you are using the model and the type of work that you do.  We generally show Doors with the out-of-the-box components for plans at 1/8" = 1'-0" [1:100 in metric], 1/4" = 1'-0" [1:50 in metric] and even, on occasion, 1/2" = 1'-0" [1:25 in metric].  Anything at a larger scale than that is generally not derived from the model and is a separately drawn detail.

Any conditions where the fact that the door frame projects and the door swing is not exactly the way the out-of-the-box component show would make a difference is a candidate for a large scale detail.  We would not generally worry about modeling it accurately at the scales we typically show plan views of the model.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
nextvkin
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

What you say makes a lot of sense, however having used this as standard for the past 15 years in vanilla ACAD, we tend to like to see things the same, not so much in the small scale plotted/printed form, but when working in the drawing, and if it's doable then we'll do it & make it standard so it's only done once (hopefully). That's the reason I went to all that trouble making that when we were using Revit.

Anyway back to the main issue: To clarify, I have to make a block of the 

1. Jamb - in 2d as well as 3d for plan & model? How would I deal with the door head which has the same profile?

2. Panel - in 2d & 3d for plan & model?

In the Revit door jamb, I made it so that when the door thickness changes the rebate width changes with it (+2mm) - is that possible or is that asking too much?

Hope you can help me with these questions, and if all else fails, I'll settle for what you suggested. šŸ˜‰

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
David_W_Koch

I do not have much (any) experience trying to use custom blocks to replace 3D/model components.  I am sure it can be done, but it may be rather tricky if you want one Door style to work at multiple sizes.  I would think you would need separate blocks for the jambs and head, so that you would only scale the jambs for height, and the head for width (of door opening).  And then you would need a separate 3D/Model block for the door panel.  Be aware that neither your 2D Plan block nor your 3D/Model block for the door panel will rotate like the out-of-the-box component does when you change the opening percentage/rotation angle.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 6
leothebuilder

See attached an example of ACA door with metal frame, similar to your PDF

Message 6 of 6
nextvkin

Hi Leothebuilder,

I think you've come to my rescue again, just had a quick look & it looks very much like what I was trying to achieve. Will look ito it a bit more. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost