AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create door and window block Style

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cddrafting
793 Views, 6 Replies

Create door and window block Style

I created a dog leg laundry door and window and finally got it to work but when I open the door the window pane moves with the door, also the window does not show up in the plan view. The cut plan is set at 1400 and the window sill is at 1200. Any ideas as to where I am going wrong.

Have a look at the dwg file

Chris E

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: cddrafting

You created the "window" by defining a custom profile for the door.  ACA Doors do not have a sidelight or transom component; the program interprets your L-shaped profile as a custom door panel shape, which is why the entire panel rotates when you "open" the door.

Without knowing how (or if) you schedule doors, it is hard to know exactly what to suggest.  From a purely modeling perspective, I would recommend using a Door/Window Assembly, which would allow you to create a frame with a sidelight and an opening for a door.  If getting the wall to run under the Door/Window Assembly is important, you will still need to use a custom profile.

If you are new to using Door/Window Assemblies, you may find these blog articles of interest:

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2005/02/removing-unsightly-bottom-frames-at.html

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2005/08/doorwindow-assembly-with-half-height.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 7
cddrafting
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I am trying to follow the discription on the Augi ADT document but cannot work out which screen to input the e lements noted in the docuument. Is it in the door styles dialogue box ?

Chris
Message 4 of 7
David_W_Koch

The dialog screen shots in the "Door/Window Assembly With Half-Height Sidelight" blog article are from editing the "Door Half-Height Window" Door/Window Assembly Style I created in the Style Manager.  All show parts of the Design Rules tab.

The first two screen shots are the two Divisions I created.  On the left side of the Design Rules tab, under the Element Definitions node, select the Divisions node.  I renamed the Default Devision as Main-Vertical and assigned the setting shown in the screen capture.  I then created a new Division (using the New button, just below the top right pane that lists the defined Divisions), called it Sidelight-Horizontal and assigned the settings shown in the screen capture.

I then selected the Infills node (left side, just below Divisions) and renamed the Default Infill to Door-Hinged-Single and chose the Hinged - Single - NoFrame Door Style that I mentioned in the first paragraph of the blog article for that Infill.  I created a new Infill called Glass-0.25 and made the settings shown.

Next I selected the Frames node and assigned the settings shown to the Default Frame, after which I selected the Mullions node and assigned the settings shown to the Default Mulliion.  You can rename these elements to something more descriptive if you like; for this example file I chose not to do so.

Using the Materials tab, I assigned Material Definitions to the various components as noted in the blog article.  You can, of course, choose different Material Definitions to suit your design.

With the components for the Door/Window Assembly now defined, I set about assigning the components to the appropriate places.  Selecting the Primary Grid node at the top of the left pane, I renamed this Grid as "Door-Sidlight".  It should have been "Door-Sidelight", but I did not notice that I had not typed the "e" until after I had already posted the sample file.  The screen show shows the assignments made.  I used the New Cell Assignment button to add a second cell assignment (in addition to the Default Cell Assignment), and set this to be a nested grid assigned to the End cell.

Doing so added a New Netsted Grid node in the left pane.  Selecting this node, I renamed it to "Sidelight", made the assigments shown and clicked OK to save the changes to the style.  The next part of the blog article discusses how to turn off the Infill and Frame below the desired sidelight and save those overrides back to the Style.  With the Style complete, the end of the article notes that you need to use a profile if you want the Wall to fill in below the sidelight.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 7
cddrafting

David

I must have a bug in my ACAD for when I attempt to imput the horizontal and vertical divisions , one overides the other and I cannot have two different values, all I get is the frame and full height door. Spent hours on it and could not find the error, only thing possible is I picked up a bug some where.

Can I ask you for a copy of your block half height door in dwg format please.

Chris
Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch

Are you creating a nested grid in the End cell, and then selecting that grid in the left pane and assigning the horizontal Division to it?  The sample file is posted in the AUGI thread referenced in the blog article, but I will attach it here, too, for convenience.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
cddrafting

David

Thank you for the assistance.

Much appreciated, I have been wanting to do this for some time but never had the time nor the complete know how.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost