AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corner Concrete Column

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
glporras
1008 Views, 3 Replies

Corner Concrete Column

Hello every one, I'm in need to use Corner Concrete Column (12" x 12" x 8") or (16" x 16" x 8") for an 8" wal when it turns 90 deg. I Have not found any threads on this, any body found solution other than making one the regular way??

TIA

George.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leothebuilder
in reply to: glporras

If you want to attach a column to a wall, you can do so by drawing the outline of the column (use polyline) against the wall object.

The polyline should not be a closed polyline, it needs to remain open along the side of the wall object.

E.g. if you want a 8 x 16 column attached to your wall object draw a C shaped polyline.

Now select the wall object, right click and select "plan modifier" and "convert polyline to wall modifier.

Follow all the prompts.

On completion the polyline will turn into a part of the wall.

Message 3 of 4
seanr1978
in reply to: glporras

This is easy to do when the column occurs in the middle of a wall, but what if it's in the inside corner?  See attached.  I'm using AA 2014 and can find no way to get it to work correctly.  I'd like it to be attached to both edges of the wall, but AA does walls in separate segments even though they appear connected, so the result is a sinking mess every time no matter how I try it.

Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: seanr1978

If, as you image implies, you are drawing an L-shaped polyline for your corner column, that will not work.  You need to add a segment to your polyline, to create a U-shaped polyline that begins and ends along the same face of one of the Walls.  Add the modifier to that Wall, and the wall cleanup will take care of the rest.  In the attached image, two out-of-the-box US Imperial content Concrete-8 Walls meet to form a corner.  The white linework is the polyline that was used to create the 16x16 corner column, offset from the location where it was at the time the plan modifier was created (so you can see the plan modifier), as indicated by the dashed gray lines.  The modifier was added to the top (horizontal) Wall, and the cleanup with the left (vertical) wall creates the illusion of a 16x16 corner column.  Both Walls are baseline justified, with the baseline along the "inside" face of each Wall, although other justification combinations should work equally well.

For a simple shape like this, you might also consider just drawing the modifier, rather than converting a polyline.  You can also us the edit-in-place feature to tweak the results.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost