AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Drawing instead of Drawing editor!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ntellery
465 Views, 8 Replies

Closing Drawing instead of Drawing editor!

I realise I am exposing my weaker side here but am I the only poor sucker who has closed the drawing (without saving) instead of closing the block editor after abandoning an edit to find I've just lost my last 3 hours of work?

To put it another way

(*&$&**## &**& ) @@ *&^^%_#)(#$(# ^(&** ^&%*^&(*(&&*$#$() removed due to not being suitable for publication.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a REALLY REALLY BAD design decision to expose the close drawing cross (top Right) inside the block editor?  At the very least, an extra warning that I am not saying "NO DONT SAVE BLOCK EDIT" but "NO I AM AN IDIOT THAT INTENTIONALLY CLOSES THE WHOLE DRAWING FROM THE BLOCK EDITOR".

sigh !!

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dbroad
in reply to: ntellery

I confess that I have done the same thing and also complained about it to no avail.  Try to remember to save before bedit.

Alternative solutions:  

1.  Undefine the close command.  But you would need to enter .close to close your drawings.

2.  Redefine the bedit command to temporarily undefine the close command.  Use a command reactor tracking bclose to redefine the close command.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 9
MarySeufert

I've moved the command line over the close drawing X. I've hit it accidentally too many times even when not in the block editor. Since I can't touch it, it is no longer an issue!! Smiley LOL

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 9
tedwardspg
in reply to: MarySeufert

You may also use BE to open the blockeditor and bclose to close the blockeditor. I guess that there are a great deal of us that are keyboard users and Toolbar or ribbon users. I personally have never used the ribbon and have never been much or a toolbar user either.

ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 5 of 9
ntellery
in reply to: tedwardspg

I am an avid keyboarder but I have never used it for the very simple commands like file open / close etc. I use the pulldowns and I do have the ribbon curled up but do use it occasionally.  I do use toolbars with simple macros. A toolbar with a ' in the macro can interrupt a present command without stopping it, say for resetting snaps.

But what's telling again is I'm not hearing a good reason for the X displayed in thblock editor and that others have made the same mistake. Maybe it could be as simple as a tick box to turn the X off, either in the BE or all together.

I'll try Mary's idea but that does make the text box floating and I have read that can slow some things down or break something else - so we'll see how it goes.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 6 of 9
MarySeufert

I do other things that are supposed to slow you down too... Properties palette is docked on my second monitor, Layer Props is also open but minimized all the time. The only time I have slow downs is when it autosaves and switching to 3D views on really big buildings. Specs below and screen shot of my ACA 2012 setup attached. Civil3D is also setup similarly, and since it is heavy on ribbon usage, I've gone to the dark side and use the ribbon all the time. I'm not sure how I'll set up 2015 after SP1 comes out, but it will be different considering all the UI changes they have made.

Building Design Suite and Civil 3D 2012 - Windows 7 Professional 64 SP1
Dell T3600 - Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz - 16GB RAM - NVidia Quadro 2000

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 9
tedwardspg

Talk to your Network Administrator. He will probably know how to take the window close "X" out of the windows operating system. I would tell you how but it would not do any good all things considered.
ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 8 of 9
ntellery
in reply to: tedwardspg

ha! I am the NA!  I'm trying out Mary's suggestion of overlaying the text box over the X and it seems to have some sense.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 9 of 9
Gary_J_Orr

I trained myself to stop using the X to close out of anything a looooooong time ago... For the same basic reasons but not just in AutoCAD...

It was a hard habit to break but once I managed to do so my life got a lot easier in a lot of different ways.

-G
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost