AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2015 - Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without ...

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
FT398
64619 Views, 35 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture 2015 - Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without ...

I have recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 - I'm actually using MEP installed as part of the Building Design Suite but I'm running it under the Architecture profile, hence me posting in this section.

I have noticed that whenever any kind of error is triggered I get the following message on the command line:

Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

This is a clean install with no form of add-ons or personal lisp routines etc so I am 100% confident that this message is not linked to something I have added. The message comes up regardless of what the error trigger is, even something as simple as typing (alert 1) will throw this message out rather than the expected bad argument type: stringp 1.

I then changed my profile to plain AutoCAD, restarted CAD and tried triggering an error and this time I get the correct error message. So it seems that whatever is going on, it is related to something within the Architecture profile.

Has anybody else experienced this situation? I have tried on three machines (all running the same software setup) and each of them throws the same error when in the Architecture profile but not in the AutoCAD profile so I know it is not specific to just one machine.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
BillGlennie
in reply to: FT398

Thank you for this report.  I have brought the problem to the attention of the development team.

Regards, Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 36
sgallant-P_2137

Same problem on my newly installed MEP 2015
Steve
Message 4 of 36
wlajemian
in reply to: BillGlennie

Getting same error on clean install of AutoCAD architecture 2015, when trying to use vpsync command from Express Tools.

happens on one paticular file which has objects from older versions of AutoCAD. No problems on newly created files. Also, the error is not confined to one user. When other users in the office open the same file, the error message is the same.

Message 5 of 36
bwilliams94
in reply to: wlajemian

I got it when using express tools as well, although mine was 'XLIST'.

To fix mine I just used the command 'appload', directed it to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Express", and loaded 'acetutil.fas'.

XLIST then worked fine 🙂 so it may help with the express tools problem but not the original one most likely!

Message 6 of 36
wlajemian
in reply to: bwilliams94

Thanks. I'll try it. FYI the problem seemed to be specific to one file, and oddly enough it isn't happening now. But I'll try the fix.

I now have issues with 2015 having fatal errors randomly and crashing without executing a command. But that's another topic.

Bill Ajemian

Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous

I get the same problem with plain AutoCAD running our custom profile which brings in out Lisps and has some custom paths that point to our blocks, lisps and custom menus.

I get this message on one of our commands but I expect to see it on more as we test the software and roll it out.

Message 8 of 36
wlajemian
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello. It has not occurred again, since the installation of the service
pack. It solved this plus other crashing issues.
Message 9 of 36
FT398

Not fixed for me - installed the service pack and any type of error still triggers this same message on MEP 2015.

Message 10 of 36
Anonymous

Thanks wlajemian.  Just wondering what time of AutoCAD you are using?  Plain / Vanilla flovour?

Message 11 of 36
wlajemian
in reply to: Anonymous

We are running AutoCAD Architecture 2015 SP 1

Message 12 of 36
FT398

And so now, after applying SP1 you don't get the Cannot invoke (command) from *error* message when you use this command:

(alert 1)

My MEP still gives this error when I have the MEP or Architecture profiles loaded. The only time I get the 'proper' error message is if I have the vanilla AutoCAD profile loaded - exactly the same as it was before applying the SP.

Message 13 of 36
kiboheagen
in reply to: BillGlennie

Any solution to this? I too get this message when trying to make a new linetype in Civil 3d 2015.

Message 14 of 36
rlfultz
in reply to: kiboheagen

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I can run an Express Tool once and then after that I'm getting the same error. For instance, I can run EXTRIM and it will work once, but not again. It will also stop all of my other Express Tools from working until I close and reopen the drawing.

Message 15 of 36
David_W_Koch

AutoCAD Architecture 2015, SP1.  I also get this error message when an error in an AutoLISP routine causes the routine to crash.

Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

It would appear that there is a problem with the way the *error* function is defined.  That could be caused by a routine you run, if it improperly makes changes to error handling.  Since many others (including me) are reporting this, I suspect that the default *error* function is either improperly defined or some out-of-the-box function is changing it and not resetting it correctly.

You can reset the *error* function to its proper default by typing in the following at the Command: (or saving it as a plain text file with an LSP extension, and then loading that file).

(defun *error* (msg) (princ "error: ") (princ msg) (princ))

You would have to do this for every new drawing you open/create, so you may want to include this in your ACADDOC.lsp file, so that it automatically runs every time a file is opened.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 16 of 36
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

If you go with putting the *error* function redefinition in ACADDOC.lsp, and you have SECURELOAD set to 1, you will want to place ACADDOC.lsp in a folder that has been designated as a Trusted Path on the Files tab of the Options dialog, to avoid getting a nag dialog asking if you want to load the file with each drawing.  If SECURELOAD is set to 2, you have to do that or the code will not load at all.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 17 of 36

This solution works very well for me ... thanks a lot guys !

Message 18 of 36
rlfultz
in reply to: sgallant-P_2137

After running that, I still get "error: (*pop-error-mode*) underflow" when trying to run an EXTRIM for a 2nd time in a drawing. If I close it, I can run it again, but only once and then I get the errors. It seems to happen with all of the express tools and on numerous computers throughout the office. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 19 of 36
David_W_Koch
in reply to: rlfultz

I am not experiencing that here.  Does this happen in every file you have tried, or just some?  Do other Express Tools work multiple times?

Perhaps your Express Tools for 2015 were not fully installed, or there may be a corruption in one or more of the files.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 20 of 36
rlfultz
in reply to: David_W_Koch

It seems to be happening with all of the express tools. OVERKILL, EXTRIM, BURST, etc. all seem to do it and if I run one of them once, then none of them work after that. It's happening on several computers in the office.

I wonder if it might be something to do with our deployment? Maybe I should stop having it install express tools and then install them manually after? I'm at a loss. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost