AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Surface Pro 3 run architecture software?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
carlosoueduardo
62792 Views, 15 Replies

Can the Surface Pro 3 run architecture software?

Hello,

I'll start studying architecture and I want to buy a new computer for study and university projects. I'm not sure what to but, I'm thinking about getting an i5 surface pro 3 because it's very portable, but will it run all the architecture software? If yes, is 4GB of RAM enough or should I get 8GB?

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: carlosoueduardo

probably but the performance would probably not be good

Microsoft didn't make the surface pro to run these types of applications

Autocad Architecture is not fully designed for Touch Screen devices either

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16

Hello and welcome,

In addition, please take a look at >Operating system compatibility for AutoCAD Architecture< and  >System requirements for AutoCAD Architecture<

When in doubt always get more RAM. 8GB is a MINIMUM for ACA.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 16
pendean

You do know that AutoCAD/ARCH is pretty much useless on a touchscreen, right? So you will need to tether a mouse and keep the keyboard connected (which on the surface pro is a sad plastic thingie with no feedback). At which point you might as well pick up a better full laptop with a slightly bigger screen: consider the ones that flip the beyboard behind the screen if your real intent is justifying the need for a pad.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 16

You'll be happier with 8GB no matter what you do with it.

I've got a similar question, but I'm already accustomed to using my laptop in a docking station, wireless keyboard/mouse & 24" monitor. I'm a lightweight user running AutoCad/Revit LT 2014. My use is mostly limited to viewing, dimensioning, or doing area take-offs from others architectural drawings, and importing PDF's into project title blocks. Thinking about swapping in the Surface Pro 3 as a laptop replacement and getting the benefit of a tablet for everything else. Everything seems like a go (CPU, RAM, resolution req's), so I'm mostly concerned about the graphics chip wonking out, stuttering etc.

Has anyone had reasonable success with this kind of tablet setup, and specifically for the SurfacePro3 line?

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 16
kevinbrummel
in reply to: kevinbrummel

Update - Heard back from some Autodesk folks:

• AutoCad has worked on previous Surface Pro models. 
  • Working or working well may be dependent on the size & complexity of the model [...suggests i7/8gb RAM..as expected]
  • None of the GPU’s available on the Surface Pro 3 (Intel P4200, P4400 and P5000) is tested with Revit [.."yet"..there was no comment specific to AutoCad] 
  • Software may not work properly if you set a DPI (Desktop Scaling) over 150% [apparently common on tablets]
  • Suggested turning off Graphics Hardware Accelertion if you run into problems.

A bit more on the i5 vs. i7 processor models, including the which Intel graphics chip is being used [top of the line i7 is the clear winner]:  

• 128GB or 256GB /Intel i5 version:  4th generation Intel Core i5-4300U 2.90 GHz with Intel HD Graphics 4400
  •  
  • 256GB or 512GB /Intel i7 version:  4th generation Intel Core i7-4650U 3.30 GHz with Intel HD Graphics 5000

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 16
kmm
Explorer

Message 8 of 16
kmm
Explorer
in reply to: kmm

I am using the 512GB HD, 8GB RAM model with Revit 2015/2014, ACAD 2015 and the remaining Building Design Suite programs. No issues to report on functionality, speed, or graphic card compatibility after weeks of continuous power-user use.

My Surface Pro 3 is running (1) 42" Sharp Aquos monitor with the mini display port to HDMI adapter from the docking station and (2) additional 27" Ultra HD monitors from the USB 3.0 ports. The USB 3.0 ports connect to the external graphic cards for high resolution displays-link below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1016857&gclid=CKSk8OK6l8ICFdKEfgodOIkARA&Q=&i...

The Surface touch monitor is also active so in all (4) monitors are working.

Yes, it eats a Macbook Air/iPad for lunch-the commercials are spot on! Microsoft hit a homerun with the Surface Pro 3.

J. Zamora

Technology/AV Systems Engineer

Message 9 of 16
gmyers

What is the file size of the Revit models?

Would there be an issue with models over 400MB?

Thanks 

@kmm wrote:

I am using the 512GB HD, 8GB RAM model with Revit 2015/2014, ACAD 2015 and the remaining Building Design Suite programs. No issues to report on functionality, speed, or graphic card compatibility after weeks of continuous power-user use.

J. Zamora

Technology/AV Systems Engineer

Message 10 of 16
eugenevandermeer
in reply to: gmyers

Hi there, Happy New Year first of all!!

As a Surface Pro 3 user (i5-4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64bits) I can say that it will run Acad LT 2014 with hardware acceleration on without a problem.

I also run ACAD Revit Structure 2011 on it without any problems. The real "problem" is that it won't run normal Acad 2011 (that ships with the Revit Structural Suite) with hardware acceleration activated. A petty as I like the 2011 version better over the latest offerings from Autodesk.......

So this doesn't exactly answer the question from the TS but I am sure the Architecture software will run although the 4Gb might be a limiting factor to the file size that he might work with?

As I stated, I do not use the most complete or fastest Surface Pro that money can get as they are extremly expensive, but for this moment it works great.

Hope this helps,

Eugène

Message 11 of 16
kmm
Explorer
in reply to: gmyers

The Surface is working with the following Revit models loaded at one session:

Arch: 265MB

Linked models:

Structural: 120MB

Electrical: 180MB

Mechanical: 110MB

Technology: 95MB

I also have BIM Glue running for clash detection on a side monitor. ACAD full 2015 is often open in the background as well with various MS Office suite programs running. 3-months of continuous operation and not one drop out, even with year end project deadlines. 

If there ever was a Autodesk beta test concern I have taken it and can assure you that the fully loaded Surface will do everything you want and more in the A&E field.

I've can even take my tablet to the field and make changes, not document them and transfer when I get in the office. No need for a Revit app in the field for just viewing, now you have the actual program and can revise in realtime.

Message 12 of 16
eugenevandermeer

Well that looks pretty cool!

I think the problem with my older version of ACAD is that the graphics driver has been updated and improved that is why the hardware acceleration

is enabled in the later versions. I have no issue with this as I primairly use it for the Revit program and this runs well.

The only real issue is the enormous screen resolution on the Surface Pro 3, I had to reduce this a fair bit to be able to see what I was doing but mostly I use an external screen with a more "normal" resolution......

Message 13 of 16
lliillaa

Thank you so much for sharing your experiance. We're looking into getting surface tablets for our project managers and I was concerned about running Revit on the Surface.

I'm wondering how the Surface connects to your office when in the field to do live updates on the model?

Thank you!

Message 14 of 16
andrewkurcan

Hey J, 

Just curious, how does the SP3 handle 3D in 2015? I'm a coporate AV TD, so I do a pretty even split between 2D and 3D worlds, and work is willing to spring for a new computer for me... I LOVE the idea of the SP3, especially since I am constatnly traveling and shoved into tiny airplane cabins and the like. 

Currently I'm working off of a 2011 MBP 8.2 with 16GB Ram. It's ok, but the crippled nature of running AutoCAD on a mac is tiring... also, 3D is ROUGH. 

Thanks, 

AK

Message 15 of 16
pkolarik
in reply to: andrewkurcan

In the last 4-6 months we've replaced all our office laptops with SP3's.... before the decision was made to do so, we tested one out. We loaded up an autocad drawing, the largest revit model we had in the office, youtube, inventor, a pdf in adobe, and hit "go". We had the youtube videos running,and were panning around in Revit, etc.

There wasn't a single bit of noticable effect from having all of this going at once.

Now that the SP3's have spread throughout the office they all have a dual-monitor setup and not a single complaint about the horsepower of the tablet.

Message 16 of 16

Thanks for the real-world feedback on this.

I've been wondering for the past 6 months how the top of the line specs would handle it. On paper it seemed dubious, but apparently it should work for most jobs.

I only wanted the performance for while travelling, but then use a slightly more powerful machine at the office. Doesn't seem like that is necessary now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost