AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit my custom palletes.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ntellery
1584 Views, 5 Replies

Can't edit my custom palletes.

Trying to get my head around palletes for customisation.

I created my own tools of own content on my own palletes and then found (woohoo!) you can drag a whole tab into the browser to quickly archive your tools. (great tip!)

Having reinstalled I have 'drop'ped the collections back to ACA12 and all my tools restored.

However I can no longer edit or add to these tool palletes.

I cannot edit any properties within tools either.

There is no lock symbol on the pallete that I can see, only a refresh symbol.

The .atc file they reference (found from the Content Browser location they came from) is not set to read only.  Permissions seem to be set to allow read, modify, write etc.

I first used the 'My Tool Catalog' provided but also copied it all back to a new catalog but it's still locked.  Read up on help, and googled but I must be missing something simple?

Help appreciated.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ntellery

Refreshable palettes are also locked from editing.  If you want to make changes, right click on the palette in an area away from any tool and choose Properties.  In the Palette Properties dialog, uncheck the Refresh from toggle at the upper left, and click OK.  You can now add new tools to the palette.  If you want to edit the properties of an existing tool on the palette, you should be able to do so now, unless the tool itself is also set to refresh from a catalog, in which case you can uncheck the toggle there, also.

READ THIS PART BEFORE DOING ANYTHING:  Once you have added tools, or modified existing tools, you need to open Content Brower, go to the tool catalog that has the source palette, open the source palette and then drag-n-drop all new and edited tools from your workspace back into Content Broswer.  If you do not do this, if you re-check the Refresh from toggle for the tool palette, the old version in Content Browser will be reloaded and you will lose your edits.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Ah fantastic thanks David.  knew it must be something simple.

I think it will be quicker for me to copy them all to a new pallete, Do all my editing and then recreate the tab set at once and I can drag the whole tab back to the content browser either writing over or delete and recreate in the CB.

Excellant thank you. I can move on now and create them fullly and be confident to archive & share them around.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 4 of 6
zachary
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I just tried this and followed the steps to the letter and it ended up ultimately deleting all of my tools. I'm not entirely sure what i did wrong but id like to know for future reference so that I can fix the problem. 

I was needing to add a standard width and justification to my custom wall tools. Initially everything worked. before I checked the refresh from box on the tool palette properties i made sure to drag everything back to the content browser from my work station. Everything looked like how I wanted it so I

@David_W_Koch wrote:

Refreshable palettes are also locked from editing.  If you want to make changes, right click on the palette in an area away from any tool and choose Properties.  In the Palette Properties dialog, uncheck the Refresh from toggle at the upper left, and click OK.  You can now add new tools to the palette.  If you want to edit the properties of an existing tool on the palette, you should be able to do so now, unless the tool itself is also set to refresh from a catalog, in which case you can uncheck the toggle there, also.

READ THIS PART BEFORE DOING ANYTHING:  Once you have added tools, or modified existing tools, you need to open Content Brower, go to the tool catalog that has the source palette, open the source palette and then drag-n-drop all new and edited tools from your workspace back into Content Broswer.  If you do not do this, if you re-check the Refresh from toggle for the tool palette, the old version in Content Browser will be reloaded and you will lose your edits.

checked the box, but then my text and separators all got sent to the bottom of the palette. so I hit the refresh button on the palette itself and it deleted all of my from both the workstation and the content browser. 

If you know what I did wrong please tell me and if you need more information let me know.

Message 5 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: zachary

@zachary wrote:

I just tried this and followed the steps to the letter and it ended up ultimately deleting all of my tools. I'm not entirely sure what i did wrong but id like to know for future reference so that I can fix the problem. 

I was needing to add a standard width and justification to my custom wall tools. Initially everything worked. before I checked the refresh from box on the tool palette properties i made sure to drag everything back to the content browser from my work station. Everything looked like how I wanted it so I

@David_W_Koch wrote:

checked the box, but then my text and separators all got sent to the bottom of the palette. so I hit the refresh button on the palette itself and it deleted all of my from both the workstation and the content browser. 

If you know what I did wrong please tell me and if you need more information let me know.

Wow.  While I have seen issues with any newly added tools all dropping to the bottom of the palette, I do not recall ever having all of the tools being deleted from both the palette in the workspace and the palette in the Content Browser.  I would be interested to hear if anyone from Autodesk can explain how that could have happened.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6
brian_adams
in reply to: zachary

Let me add a bit , may be it is the core of new issue. One thing that David_W._Koch don't mentioned and it also affect to result is one check in project property
If you want to see all of your custom palett in all the project , so "project tool palett group" should be "none"

Also there is one more method to get the paletts- with out  drag and drop and content browser.

1267.JPG22223.JPG

palett.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost