AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone give me some advice on some issues i'm stuck on?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
490 Views, 7 Replies

Can anyone give me some advice on some issues i'm stuck on?

The issue i'm having is with with editing roof slabs, adding a standard fascia, soffit and gutter detail. I think i need to draw a profile of the eaves (Fascia, Soffit, Gutter) and then autocad will extrude it along the edge of my roof. Not sure how to do this though?

Other things are adding tiles to the roof slabs and making my brick external walls extend up into the underside of the roof (gable end).

If its easier I could send over my rather poor drawing for somone to take a look at.

Many Thanks!

Simon
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KathyMoffa
in reply to: Anonymous

First, your brick isn't going all the way up because in the style, it is offset -250 from the wall top. Edit your style and change it to 0 and it will work correctly.

For materials and slab edge styles, you first need to import them into your drawing. You can do this by going to the Content Browser, selecting the ones you want and dropping them anywhere into the drawing (just press escape after clicking in the drawing). Roof Slabs contains a number of Soffit and Fascia treatments that match available roofing materials, of which one is a Spanish red tile. The Roofing materials can be found in the Visualization section of the Content Browser, or on your Render Tool Palette under Materials. Once you have imported the roofing materials and slab edge styles into your drawing, select one of your roof slabs, go to Properties, select Edges (Design/Basic/Dimensions). You will see all of the roof slab edges with their current settings. Select the drop down list under Edge Styles to access the slab edge style(s) you imported into your drawing.

For the roof material, you will need to edit the roof style, go to the Materials tab,click the material definition to reveal the drop down lists, and select the material you imported.

You can also make your own fascias and soffitts using a number of different techniques (profiles, sweeps, solids, masses,etc.), but hopeufully the above gets you started. I really recommend purchasing Wyatt or Aubin's books on AutoCAD Architecture 2010 and doing the chapters in those books on roofs and roof slabs. It's way too complicated to just muddle through on your on.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Kathy,

Thank you so much for your reply, it helped alot!

I have now been able to have my walls go right up to the roof line.

Currently trying to apply materials to the walls and roof, but the roof slabs seem like they are not yet permanent, they are a transparent blue colour which seems to indicate that i need to make them fixed?

All i have to do on the drawing, now is add tiles to the roof, add 4 roof windows (velux style) and the print out different views, sections etc.

I have reattached the file, would you possibly be able to help me out with the roof slabs being blue and not being able to add materials to it?

Many Thanks,

Simon.
Message 4 of 8
KathyMoffa

Hi Simon,

You have added your roofing material to the drawing, so it's available to use. Click your roof slab, right-click and select "Edit Roof Slab Style". Go to the Materials tab, where you will see two headings, Component and Material. Currently the Component Roof shows that the Standard material is being used. You have to click on the word Standard in order to access the drop down listing. Select the Spanish.Red that you have added to the drawing, click all OKs and you will see your roofing material applied. If the Spanish tile is showing on the sides and bottom of your roof, repeat Edit Roof Slab, again go to the Materials tab, but this time click the icon in the upper right (Edit Material), the click the icon in the upper right (Edit Display Properties), uncheck all but TOP, and under Mapping, select "Same as Surface Hatch".

I notice that you have edited the Roof Slab Edge Style with no success. Here is a quick trick you may want to try. Copy your existing roof slab up the same distance as it's thickness. From an isometric view, you can simply copy from the lower endpoint of an edge to the upper endpoint of the same edge. Now, edit the properties of the copy, and change the thickness to something closer to the thickness of the tiles alone. Since the thickness will decrease from the bottom, you will then need to move the new slab back down (using an Isometric view and endpoint snaps).

Now, select your original slab, right click "Edit Object Display", go to the Materials Tab, and select a material that is already in your drawing to see how it looks (one of the painted white ones will work). The "Edit Object Display" changes ONLY the object you select, so you will have to repeat the command for the other slab.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Brilliant info Kathy, thanks alot.
I'll go away and give all of what you have said a go and i'm sure i'll be back with more questions! 🙂

Thanks,
Simon
Message 6 of 8
KathyMoffa

Simon,

Your welcome for the info. However, the simplest thing for you at this point might be to use the OOTB roof slab tools in the Content Browser. It really all depends on what your instructions (show a fascia & soffit) and purpose (plans only or rendering) are. To use the OOTB tools, go the Content Browser/ Roof Slabs, and drop the 25x200 Fascia and the 25x200 Fascia + Soffit into your drawing. Now, select your roof slab, right click for Properties, go to the Design tab/Dimensions and click the Edges Icon. You will see all your edges and their current selections, though it's hard to determine which edge is which. In your case, you do not want the one square cut edge. You need to click on the current edge selection (per edge) to access the drop down list that will now include the two edges you just imported. The fascia and soffit goes on the side edges and the fascia alone on the sloped edge. OK to return to your drawing to see your edges applied.

One other thing I noticed in your drawing is that your upper gable wall isn't cleaning up with the vertical side walls (from a plan view). I don't know why they aren't cleaning up, but here's a quick fix. Move the upper gable wall and its door and window @0,2000,0 to get them out of the way. Mirror the lower gable wall from the midpoint of the left vertical wall in a 0 direction. The mirrored wall will instantly clean up. Now, move your window and door back (@0,-2000,0) and delete the old wall.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks again Cathy.

You basically answered my next question on the wall cleanup, but I cannot seem to find a way to mirror the lower wall up in place of the top one.

Any chance you could run through the procedure in a little more depth?

Many Thanks again,

Simon.
Message 8 of 8
KathyMoffa

First, make certain that you are in a plan or top view and that either Polar or Ortho is toggled on and that OSNAP Midpoint is on. From the command line, enter MI or MIRROR. When prompted to select objects, select the lower wall only. For the first point, select the Midpoint of the left vertical wall. For the 2nd point, just pull your cursor in a straight line (towards Polar 0) and click anywhere off to the right of the vertical wall on the right. In this particular case, you can also click the midpoint of the vertical wall on the right as your second point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost