AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMU Wall with footing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
leothebuilder
1784 Views, 4 Replies

CMU Wall with footing

I have a wall style of 8 inch CMU with a concrete footing below, see attached.

Whenever I change the thickness of the concrete footing e.g. increase in the - direction it updates in the preview window on the components tab, but when I return to the isometric view it remain at 6 inches thick.

Wazzup wif dat?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmcintyre
in reply to: leothebuilder

To increase the depth of the footing in the - direction, you not only have to change it in the style, you have to modify the object floor line. You currently have the top of the footing 8" below the baseline and the bottom of the footing is set at 2' below the baseline. However the floor line in the object properties is set at 1'2" below the basline, so the footing will remain at 6" thick.

Message 3 of 5

I edited the wall to aling with the floor line in the object properties palette, but that made the footing disapear from the isometric view.

I managed to get the proper result by editing the wall style to have the bottom of the CMU at the baseline and the top of the footing at the baseline. Then set the elevation of the wall in the properties palette at -14".

I guess I can't have the wall's insertion point above the footing....unless I'm missing something.

Message 4 of 5

After a lot of trial and error I have finally got close to what I need with wall and footing.

I built the wall style using the "wall bottom" as starting point and adding components with offsets from the wall bottom.

It appears that the distance between the wall bottom and baseline is fixed at 30 inch and can't be changed.

I assume that the distance of base height to top of wall is fixed at 30 inch as well.

The only problem I have left is that I need to set the elevation in the property palette at -30 inch or change the floor line in the properties to -30 inch. (the last method works best for me) The only problem with that is that I can't use this wall style from a tool palette without resetting this each time.

Am I missing something creating wall styles?

Message 5 of 5
KathyMoffa
in reply to: leothebuilder

I think you have made this a lot more difficult that it is.    In the drawing you posted, as James noted, your floor line in the object properties is at 1'2".     This setting is found by clicking Roof/Floor line at the bottom of the Design tab of the Properties palette.  To get it back to zero, edit the start and end vertex and manually change it to 0.    At this point, your footer will completely disappear.  Now, select your wall, right-click and selet Roof/Floor line/Modify Floor Line and offset the 2' that you have specified in the wall style.  What you now get is a footer that is 16" high, with it's top 8" below the baseline and it's bottom 24" below the bsaeline.   Is this what you were trying to do, or have a misunderstood?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost