AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build concrete foundation wall on grade ACA 14

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Ralph6410
1305 Views, 7 Replies

Build concrete foundation wall on grade ACA 14

I am sort of familiar with AutoCAD but brand new with ACA and am attempting to learn the fundamentals.

After watching numerous videos.. I  now am now trying to build a foundation wall  (concrete with footing) that will be level at the top but is angled at the bottom to match the grade. Is this possible or do I need to make a number of stepped walls?

The grade at my proposed site will be level across the front (40') has a rise of 4' along the right side (35') and 5' along the left side. My front foundation wall will be 8 high (2' into the ground) My right side will be 8' at the front and 4' at the back.. 6' showing across the front and 2' at the back.

Thank you for your time.. And any advice Smiley Happy

Ralph

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ntellery
in reply to: Ralph6410

If you create a wall style with a footing at the bottom, the footing will not follow a step or a slope. It will take the bottom of the wall as the bottom and anything else that steps or slopes up from that won't be taken into account.

This is a very good, useful wish list for walls.

If you break your wall at each step height, then yes if the footing componant is set according to bottom of wall then it will step but your elevations will have lines at each step.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 8
danellis2982
in reply to: ntellery

Actually, you can quite easily set up a wall-style to work as desired.  Attached is a metric one that will perform in this way.

The trick is to set it up right in the Components tab, this simple example uses three components.  "External" represents the wall from DPC-level upwards.  "DPC" goes from DPC level down to the top of the footing.  Finally "Footing" is the widened footing.

The Baseline is set at DPC level.

Set the "External" component have a bottom offset of 0 from Baseline and 0 from top of wall.

The DPC componenet's offsets are -300 (12") from the Baseline and the Baseline, respectively.

The Footing has a width of 300 plus the wall thickness and an edge offset of -150 (6") so it will be 1' wider than and centred on the wall above it.  Its bottom offset is set to the Wall Bottom and its top offset to -300 relative to the baseline.

Once this is set up draw your desired wall with this style, setting its base height to the height above DPC you want your wall to be (typically your DPC to soffit height).

Select your wall, right click and go to Roof/Floor Line then Modify Floor Line.

Pick "Offset" from the next set of options and enter -150.  A line will appear at DPC level with two courses of brick below it (depending on whether you have hatching visible or not!

Repeat the above step and enter -750.  You'll see that you now have a 600mm (2') footing in place.

You'll see in the file I've included a polyline.  This slopes to repesent the target bottom of the footing.

Again go to Modify Floor Line, but this time pick  "Project to Polyline."  Select the sloping polyline and you'll see that the bottom of the wall now follows the slope of the PL.

dJE

Message 4 of 8
dbroad

If what danielss did not meet your needs, a picture of what you want would be easier to interpret than a word problem.  Seems like the footing would get uneconomically thick if you varied the thickness by 4 to 5 feet.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 8
Ralph6410
in reply to: danellis2982

Thank you. I will give this a try.

Message 6 of 8
danellis2982

Did it work out for you?

dJE

Message 7 of 8
Ralph6410
in reply to: danellis2982

Thanks danielss

Now you have made me feel guilty Smiley Embarassed I took the easy way out and made a stepped base. I made my base in ~8' foot sections and adjusted the level from 8' to -3' keeping the height at 0.

I do appreciate your effort though to show me an alternative (better?) way.

Message 8 of 8
danellis2982

To be fair that does sound like a more realistic approach - construction wise.

dJE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost