AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2014 Freezes - Open / Save As

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chadcross
4163 Views, 3 Replies

Autocad 2014 Freezes - Open / Save As

We are having an issue where using the open dialog or save as dialog from within autocad architecture 2014 will cause the program to become unresponsive. The program must then be manually closed via task manager.

This only happens with open and save as, if we just use ctrl + s to save, everything works fine. Same with opening a file by double clicking it in windows explorer. Also, in the open / save as dialog window, the top drop-down bar (which has a tiered directory of the computer / network) is blank, and clicking it does nothing. It's basically a drop down menu that doesn't drop down. This leads me to believe this is some sort of networking issue.

The offending computer is running Windows 8. The problem does not show up on our Windows 7 machines.

All the computers have the same antivirus installed, and the files being accessed are stored on another computer within the network.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DarrenP
in reply to: chadcross

this maybe a Windows 8 issue

this happens to me time to time but not to a point where it freezes the whole program

hopefully a hotfix or service pack fixes this

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
chadcross
in reply to: DarrenP

The top pull-down navigation menu missing from open / save as dialogs has been resolved!

This discussion uncovered the root of the problem, which was having a phone / simliar device connected via USB. It seems having any device which shows up in My Computer under the "portable device" category will cause this navigation issue.

Note that this only affects our windows 8 machines, on windows 7 this isn't an issue.

Regarding the other freezing issues, Nvidia released new Quadro drivers today (K4000 for us) which has an interested note: “The NVIDIA® AutoCAD Performance driver is no longer integrated in the graphics driver. Standalone versions or version updates can still be downloaded from the NVIDIA driver download page.”

Note that no autocad performance driver has been released yet, but this may indicate that there was an issue with previous drivers. We have noticed a performance increase in autocad 2014 after updating to these new drivers.

Message 4 of 4
JordanMrazek
in reply to: chadcross

Having phones plugged into USB was the problem for us too. Last thing I would have thought of.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost