AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoComplete vs. Command Aliases (ex: "F" becomes "FILETAB" instead of "FILLET")

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
itadmin
3463 Views, 5 Replies

AutoComplete vs. Command Aliases (ex: "F" becomes "FILETAB" instead of "FILLET")

While I was writing this post I solved my own problem, but in case anyone else is frustrated and confused like I was, I will share my experience. (Using AutoCAD Architecture 2014, fresh install, barely 1 week old and still getting used to it).

My problem:

7+ times out of 10, when I would attempt to initialize the "FILLET" command by using the "F" keyboard command alias, the "FILETAB" command was activated instead. I could not figure out why. My command aliases are all correct, F = fillet, and "filetab" or a derivative does not exist in my .pgp file. It was driving me crazy that to activate the fillet command with "F" was requiring a dozen or more attempts, and even that was inconsistent.

Cause: With AutoComplete Turned on, the first command in it's autocomplete list is activated, regardless of what your command alias is set to be in the .pgp file. In my case, F=Fillet, but autocomplete saw F=Filetab as the first potential command (alphabetically). * I did not realize this was the cause at first because the autocomplete ghost-box takes a second or two to show up, and F>Space Bar takes far less time.

My solution:

Deactivate AutoComplete. To do this: Click on command bar's Customize (wrench icon) > Input Settings > Uncheck "AutoComplete."

I suspect that changing the command alias or inputing more characters than "F" would also have been a solution. However 13 years of F>Space Bar is harder to change than deactivating the AutoComplete feature, useful as it sometimes was. 🙂

Happy Drafting.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Basam.Yousif
in reply to: itadmin

But disabling a feature is not the answer.

The problem remains. AA2014 is not always reading the pgp file, or reading but ignoring it.

Autodesk need to know this.

Message 3 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Basam.Yousif

While not a solution, there is a workaround that may enable you to make use of AutoComplete and still use single-character aliases.  You have to set the way AutoComplete sorts the list of matching commands to be according to frequency of use, not alphabetically.  You may also want to increase the delay time before the AutoComplete list displays, especially if you have a multi-character command alias.  Then turn off AutoComplete temporarily, and execute the command you want to be triggered repeatedly; the goal is to get it to the top of the list because it is the most frequently used command.

You can read more detail, with screen captures, in this blog post, if you are interested.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
pteague
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks for the sort by frequently used note. That's just what I needed.
Message 5 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: pteague

In using 2015 I finally gave up and had to shut off autocomplete entirely.  I heavily use keyboard shortcuts for speed and there were not any autocomplete settings that would work consistently.  For example I use the command 'PP' to activate the 'PLAN' command.  If I follow that with [ENTER] [ENTER] it shifts to the plan view in the current UCS.  If I type PP [ENTER], more than half the time it activates the PAN command and puts the little hand up there.  Changing the autocomplete to frequency of use does not help, nor does changing the delay time.  With a delay of 100 or a delay of 10000 the situation is the same.  If I have autocomplete turned on, if I enter the command 'PP', I need to wait until the second P appears in the command line before hitting enter.  This halting approach really messes with my work groove.  I like the thought of Autocomplete, but as it is currently set up, it is totally dysfunctional for me as a user.

Message 6 of 6
mchristop
in reply to: David_W_Koch

My problem is that I have "FF"assigned to offset in my acad.pgp file.  I use offset more frequently that fillet which is "F" in the same pgp file.  Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get the fillet command to work. I have some seriously upset users right now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost