AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hzheku
406 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture

Hi everyone, I am a student studying Architecture, and I am having trouble with something.

I wanted to know is it possible to import a file from AutoCAD Architecture 2014 (NOT AutoCAD) to Revit Architecture 2014?
I tried doing this using the Insert tab, Link CAD button, however I received the following error message:

"Some elements were lost during import. ActiveX and some proprietary components cannot be imported.
Try exploding the file in AutoCAD, or setting PROXYGRAPHICS to 1."

I tried using the Import CAD button after, and I still received the same error message.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me resolve this.

Thanks,
Henri

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: hzheku

Revit is not able to read-in AutoCAD Architecture objects (Walls, Doors, Windows, etc.), just AutoCAD objects.  Assuming that you have access to AutoCAD Architecture (and are not just gettting the file from a source outside of your firm), you could export the AutoCAD Architecture File to AutoCAD, as this will explode the AutoCAD Architecture objects to AutoCAD objects.  Be sure to export the file to a different file name, so you do not lose the original file.

Before doing the export, you will need to decide how you want to see the AutoCAD Architecture objects.  If you only need a 2D plan as a "background" for your Revit plan(s), then exporting from a top view direction with an appropriate Display Configuration that has a plan-type Display Representation Set assigned to the Top view direction and that shows the information you want to see in Revit will work.  If you need a 3D model, then you will need to have your view direction/Display Configuration set to have a model-type Display Representation Set active.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Tom_Eitelbach

You could also try to export out as an IFC file type. And then use that to import
Message 4 of 4
Keith.Brown

If you turn on your proxygraphics and save your drawing in an isometric view then you can insert the drawing into revit and be able to see all of the architectural objects.  The drawing itself is just one large object.  If you first insert it into a family and then insert the family into your Revit model it will work a little better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost