AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2014/2013 locks up fequently

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
3CADMonkeys
852 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture 2014/2013 locks up fequently

I have been having steady problem for a while now using Architecture 2014 (Mainly). I installed 2013 to see if it would be any better and still having problem. 

The problem occurs randomly at anytime and in any drawing.  I could us the move command in a 2d line drawing with no xrefs that has been purged and -purged.  It could happen when I pan, copy, line, or any other command.  It happens sometimes within minutes of opening AutoCAD and the drawing or 15-20 mins into working in the drawing it happens.  Currently I try to save after every command to keep from lossing work (what a pain). 

I also have the stutter step with each commands like lots of other people. Which I believe is caused by autocad giving you information before you even ask for it. It's annoying but I can live with it.

I have gone thru a few tutorials to speed up and elminate bloating. I did most of the following that was mention in these articles:

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/706/9573/1/NEW%20AutoCAD%20Performance%20Ti...

http://www.cad-notes.com/speed-up-autocad-configuration/ (including comments)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/2014-running-slow-ran-processmon-missing-regist...

I have also gone into bios and change the setting from 4 core and 4 logical back to just 4 cores in hopes of reducing the lock ups.  I did this because I noticed and still do that the core running ACA 2014 or ACA 2013 is maxed out. But that hasn't helped it still maxes out one core.

During this whole write up and getting links ACA2014 has been locked up with only one drawing (less than 1 MB) and one ACA session open.  I could wait hours/days (left it overnight one night and it was still locked up the next morning) without it unlocking only way to fix it is to end the process in process explorer or task manager and lose informaiton and start over.

We do not have an in house IT tech in our small office.  The server is newish but not laggin one bit. if you want specs I can get those as well.

Custom built computer

Microsoft 7 Pro

Intel Core I7 920 @ 2.67 GHZ 4 core

6 GB memory

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MarySeufert
in reply to: 3CADMonkeys

Here is a link for system requirements >ACA System Requirements<

Unfortunately AutoCAD only uses one core most of the time, so having a fast processor is better than having one with more cores. Also, I would advise you to double the memory they recommend to 8GB. One of the cheaper options to speed things up! ACA does talk a lot to the server if you are using project navigator, so the server might be in play. The server OS has often played a part in slowing down ACA.

Here are some things to go through that weren't in the links you gave to hopefully make everything more stable:

• -purge->Regapps
  • Reconcile All Layers (Even if you don't set them for notification, ACA still itemizes them)
  • Change your Autosave settings, often ACA will hang when trying to execute
  • Double check all of your File Support Paths, including AEC content paths, to make sure there aren't any null locations that ACA is looking for
  • Purge unused styles from the style manager, and do a regular purge after (check the nested items option)

Good luck!

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 8
3CADMonkeys
in reply to: MarySeufert

Could you tell me a little more about the correct server OS or the possible OS that cause problem?

I will look into reconciling layers and checking AEC content paths.

Server:
Windows 2008 FE
Dual intel xeon E5405 @ 2 GHZ
4 GB memory
FYI:
We do not use project navigator.
I do use the -purge and remove regapps
It has never hung while autosaving
I do purge unused styles from style manager then purge the drawing

Thank you for the information.
Message 4 of 8
MarySeufert

I've read about a lot of people running into issues with Server 2003 and ACA. Since you don't have IT, do you check for windows updates on the server regularly. If they are way out of sync with your desktops it could cause issues. Related, did the lockups start happening after a windows update?

Just an opinion, I would add more memory to the server as well. You are running on minimum recommended specs, which IMHO are only good for paper pushers, not AutoCAD users.

Another thing to check out on your desktop is if you have an Autodesk certified driver for your video card. >Autodesk - Certified Hardware<

Also have you applied all the current Service Packs? >SP Downloads<

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 5 of 8
3CADMonkeys
in reply to: MarySeufert

Lock ups started shortly after upgrading from ACA 2010 to ACA 2014 but the more I use ACA 2014 the more locks occur and the frequency of lock up increase. But after weeks or a month of problems I could have a couple good weeks or a month (minimal lock ups 1 or 2 a day) it is very random

ACA 2014 with SP1 installed
Win 7 Pro with SP1 installed
The server is update pretty much in unison with desktops
Message 6 of 8
WAdkison

I have been seeing this problem frequently as well, on (vanilla) AutoCAD versions 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; running on both Window 8 x64 and XP SP3 win32 virtual machines running on vmware Fusion, which I was hoping was the problem.   But now my client is seeing the same problems on a new x64 Windows 7 (or 😎 machine, so I'm looking to see if anyone has ever tracked this down, and landed on this thread, which seems quite related.

I'll stay tuned, it would be nice to find a solution to this.   Good luck to all, it seems like we are still looking...

Message 7 of 8
ntellery
in reply to: WAdkison

older posts I've read related lockups to links to printers (folders) that no longer exist.

Maybe something ?

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 8 of 8
surfarch

I have the same studdering problems. It is painfully annoying and is slowing productivity dramatically. It happens more frequently with 2014 than with 2011. If anyone finds a solution, please post it here.

Autocad Architecture 2014

Windows 7

Dell XPS L701X laptop

i7 Q740 @ 1.73 GHz

8.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost