AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2011 Backwards and Forward Compatibility With 2008?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
autodquests
797 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture 2011 Backwards and Forward Compatibility With 2008?

Is there any reason to keep 2008 if you have a new copy of 2011?  Any old features lost or old files types that can't be opened in 2011 that worked in 2008?

What's the best ways to make sure files edited and saved in 2011 can also be opened  and fully edited by users of 2008?

Save as older version?  Export as IFC?  Something else?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmcintyre
in reply to: autodquests

AEC objects are not backward compatible from 2011 to 2008. You can save vanilla acad objects (lines, text, arcs etc) back to 2008, but not walls, doors, windows etc.

Message 3 of 5
joekozelka
in reply to: jmcintyre

I have spent a day drawing in 20012  and today my collegue cannot open the file in 2008 (he is angry) I would not upgrade until autoCAD get their act together.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: joekozelka

That will be a long wait.  AEC objects have never been backwards compatible to previous file formats.  2008 used the 2007 file format; 2012 uses the 2010 file format.  If you need to exchange files with "live" AEC objects (not exploded/exported to ACAD linework), then you need your entire project team to be working (ideally) on the same version, or at least on versions that use the same file format.  Expect a file format change for the upcomming release, as AutoCAD has been on a three-year file format change cycle since the 2004 release.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
jmcintyre
in reply to: autodquests

Well...I did warn you...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost