AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture 2011 Crashes when printing "ntdll.dll"

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
6592 Views, 8 Replies

Architecture 2011 Crashes when printing "ntdll.dll"

Greetings,

We have a user printing to an HP LaserJet printer using the latest Universal driver and it is causing Architecture to crash.  They are printing to 11x17 size paper and I have created the custom 11x17 paper size (which is a workaround for the issue with HP's universal driver and 11x17 printing) but it still seems to crash.  So far this is the only user it is happening with and there are other's with the same driver and custom paper size settings.  Below is a copy of the application error listed in the machines event viewer:

Description:

Faulting application name: acad.exe, version: 24.1.49.0, time stamp: 0x4b724de9

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2

Faulting process id: 0x1358

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb0cb6c7924738

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011\acad.exe

Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 7be19d53-78ae-11df-9401-78e7d1c3d3ed

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-15T18:47:45.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>2521</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>FDI0510d.forceco.net</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>acad.exe</Data>

<Data>24.1.49.0</Data>

<Data>4b724de9</Data>

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>

<Data>4a5be02b</Data>

<Data>c0000374</Data>

<Data>00000000000c6cd2</Data>

<Data>1358</Data>

<Data>01cb0cb6c7924738</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011\acad.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>7be19d53-78ae-11df-9401-78e7d1c3d3ed</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I have seen reports of the ntdll.dll issue being caused by WSCommCntr2.exe but I don't see how this relates our particular issue since it involves printing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We have had this problem since 2010 (now with 2011 as well). I posted it a few times, and have never gotten a resolution. 

Maybe there will be an answer someday. I think everyone just pawns this sort of problem off on the driver (HP).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hmmm, interesting.  I"m surprised that someone from Autodesk hasn't mentioned that they are aware of the issue and are at least looking into a resolution.  Do you have a workaround?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Well, I have discovered a way to fix this (at least for us).  As we know, you have to create a custom 11x17 paper size if you use a 64-bit OS, ACAD 64-bit and 64-bit printer driver (obviously) in order to print 11x17 or Autocad will crash.  We did this, however ACAD would still crash for some users.  To fix our issue I had to uninstall the printer and reinstall.  I used the existing driver installed originally and made no other changes.  Voila it works.

Also, what I noticed is that I did not create the custom 11x17 paper size(for the workaround) for one user but I uninstalled the printer before knowing this.  Once I reinstalled and noticed that the custom paper size wasn't there I created it.  Once again, ACAD would crash.  So I uninstalled the printer once again.  Voila it now works.  The custom 11x17 paper size that I created after reinstalling the printer the 1st time was still listed in my choice of paper sizes after reinstalling the printer for a 2nd time.

So this amounts to: Install your HP printer using the 64-bit Universal Driver.  Create the custom 11x17 paper size to workaround the issue when printing 11x17 and then uninstall/reinstall the printer using the existing driver.  Your custom 11x17 paper size will still be there for you to use. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Having same issue printing 11x17s in ACA2011, win 7 x64. But I am getting a strange result I have not seen mentioned, thought I would bounce this off the group. If I go through the universal printing, or if I just select the laserjet i am printing to, either way when I set up the 11x17 sheet, it acts like it prints but when i go to the printer, the printer is asking for paper that is 11.5 x 17.333...where is it getting this? I find no margin setup that might be pushing the paper size larger, I have checked the box that says to fit to paper, I find nothing anywhere that could cause the printer to receive instructions that it needs to print to something larger than 11 x 17. Weird.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Folks, this topic has been solved for some time now, explore the print-plot discussion area
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Printing-and-Plotting/bd-p/30
or the AutoCAD 2011 forum.

Win7 64bit comes with built-in drivers for many of these HP printers, install them and you can print to 11x17 without the universal driver and without creating custom 11x17 sheets or messing with margins.

You an also install Vist64bit and XP64bit drivers for those devices that are not listed.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

So someone doesn't have to scroll through 700 pages, here is how I fixed it:

Remove any printer instance that isn't working. In the Add a Printer routine, DO NOT select any printer that appears in the list of domain printers to choose from. Instead, choose printer is not listed, then in the next popup click to set up a TCPIP connection, and then enter the IP address of the desired printer. This brings up the Windows Update button (going thru the tcpip route is the only way I have found to get to this windows update to appear) select it and wait while a bucket of drivers are downloaded. You should see your printer in the list. In my particular case, I had already downloaded the HP pcl5 driver for the laserjet 9040, but it would never print 11x17 sheets in autocad. The driver that I selected after doing the Windows Update was labeled mfp 9040 pcl5...apparently just different enough from their other driver that 11x17's will print from autocad...go figure.

I am in a domain network, with print services running on a win 2003 server.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

What is the solution if you are in an enterprise environment with over 500 clients and 30 HP printers shared on a print server????

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Prayer, or liberal amounts of liquor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost