AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arc discretisation in sections

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bjornhgr
399 Views, 4 Replies

Arc discretisation in sections

Hi,

I'm using "horizontal section" to make plan drawings of 3D circular columns in an xref-ed drawing. In the x-ref the columns exist as 3D solids made from extruded circles.

Regardless of my VIEWRES setting, the resulting 2D circle discretisation is way too coarse and is presented as a polygon on my drawings.

The same applies to solids made in the same drawing, by the way, so I don't think the xref-ing has anything to do with it. Is there a to adjust this for sections?

BMan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: bjornhgr

Set AECFACETDEV to a smaller value.  It will always facet, though.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 5
bjornhgr
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks, that seems to work. However, as this is an absolute distance, the error gets relatively larger as the radius of the arc gets smaller. Even when giving a really small value for FACETDEV and a large value for FACETMAX, it seems the smallest distance is set to 0.01 which is a bit to large for me as my drawing unit is meters.

Shouldn't I be able to make the deviation "as small as I'd like" by fiddling with those two variables?

Message 4 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: bjornhgr

I don't know why they decided to implement the arcs as faceted shapes.  I think it was a bad decision.  That said, other than not having a center point snap, its not usually a big deal.  I've never done a job with a meter unit though.  Can't you use millimeter units and dimension in meters?  That seems like a relatively simple workaround.  It does seem the lower limit of AECFACETDEV should  be smaller for a meter based drawing though.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: dbroad

The value of FACETDEV has to be greater than 0, but is not limited to a minimum value of 0.01.  Your units may be set to DISPLAY two decimal places, but you can ENTER smaller values and AutoCAD Architecture will accept them.  The smallest number that you can enter and verify it has been set is 0.00000001, provided you maximize the precision of the linear units to eight decimal places.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost