AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acad Arch 2011 EXTREMELY Jumpy Cursor

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
3127 Views, 23 Replies

Acad Arch 2011 EXTREMELY Jumpy Cursor

I have a sluggish jerky cursor (and it’s not the operator) when you are NOT in a command and while you are creating your selection set in the command. The cursor jumps and reappears @ ~1 sec intervals so you have to anticipate your mouse move to do anything. OH...and it's only happens in model space.

I tried several settings I found on the internet but nothing works. It's only doing it in 3 drawings right now. The latest one was working fine until ~10:00 this morning, then it started in...no issues before this.

It really makes AutoCAD 2011 basically unusable as it takes 5X longer to complete each command!!! HELP!!!

Any thoughts? This is realy driving me nuts and KILLING my productivity!!!

Bil M

AutoCAD Arch 2011

Win 7 64 bit

2.93 Ghz i7

8gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
novator83
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi all. I have Acad 2012 x64 installed on W7 with Aero theme disabled. All tool-tips and other pop-up features and other berely useful stuff disabled in acad ( looks like Acad 14 😉 . Only Properties and Layer palletes docked on left side. Bur still, I had serious problems with jumpy jerky cursor in model viewport. It always started after some 15 minutes of drawing. Particulary when working with blocks. Cursor even started to painfully jump if I used Alt-TAB to other programs.

I had enough of this c... ( don't even mention other problems that I had with previous AutoCADs) ! Software for 5000€+ should work FLAWLESSLY on decent PC !!! Very dissapointed with AutoCAD !

So, I checked every singel setting and option (like I don't have nothing else to do) and figured out that holy Layer Palettes was making this mess with cursor. But I need it !

Oh, maybe developer will now say: 'it is Microsofts fault and their .NET framework, but for software that expensive, Autodesk developers should check every single feature on every single possible computer-software setup there exists on the planet !!! I don't know what else thay do with all this quadriliard of $ we buyers give them ?!??!! There is no excuse for shallowness.

Message 22 of 24
jack
in reply to: novator83

We use the Layer Palette as little as possible. Try setting LAYERDLGMODE to 0, this will open the traditional Layer Properties Manager when the LAYER command is used.

Message 23 of 24
don
Enthusiast
in reply to: Anonymous

It's happening in ACA 2012 as well.  

• Building a file with a lot of audience seating blocks and other staging blocks,  
  • all of a sudden it froze up, fluttering crosshairs at such high speed you could barely catch a glimpse, and zoom moved at 1cm per 15 secs, maybe. 
  • I ran purge and audits, removed everything unnecessary from layers and blocks etc.
  • I removed the last block I made which was about 50 pcs of 10'wx16'ht of rippled hanging masking drape pieces. 
  • All I did was make a spline, convert it into a pline and extrude it, saved it off as a wblock. 
  • BUT once removed, including from the drawing file block list, it still fluttered away.
  • I had to freeze and turn off all the block groups to get it to move a bit.  

• BY the way, can someone explain to me the benefits/purpose of 'group' over 'wblock',
  • Also as to relative memory sizes for essentially the same object/clsuter, 
  • Can you nest a group in a wblock without causing problems?  
  • Ditto for wblocks in a group?
  • Do you need to ungroup first?  
  • All the tips I see tell you how to do things, but never why you shouldn't or don't want to do many things, or what to watch out for. 

I also just went thru my operating system (WIN 7/64 Pro) turning off everything I could that would impact on speed, emptying, for the most part, startup etc.  I am running a new Lenovo W520/i7-2850 2.5 with the NVidia Quad 2000M and 16 gigs of ram so it should run decently fast and smoothly, along with a Dell 2450 monitor so I can see the itty-bitty stuff without having to zoom all the time.

Don

Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: don

Dunno if this helps...But we had this "jumpy" problem on several computers and downloaded the activex control from the internet, It helped a BUNCH!!

Tonya Sweeting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost