AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acad Arch 2011 EXTREMELY Jumpy Cursor

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
3126 Views, 23 Replies

Acad Arch 2011 EXTREMELY Jumpy Cursor

I have a sluggish jerky cursor (and it’s not the operator) when you are NOT in a command and while you are creating your selection set in the command. The cursor jumps and reappears @ ~1 sec intervals so you have to anticipate your mouse move to do anything. OH...and it's only happens in model space.

I tried several settings I found on the internet but nothing works. It's only doing it in 3 drawings right now. The latest one was working fine until ~10:00 this morning, then it started in...no issues before this.

It really makes AutoCAD 2011 basically unusable as it takes 5X longer to complete each command!!! HELP!!!

Any thoughts? This is realy driving me nuts and KILLING my productivity!!!

Bil M

AutoCAD Arch 2011

Win 7 64 bit

2.93 Ghz i7

8gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Hardware Acceleration on in ACA2011?

"... It's only doing it in 3 drawings right now..."

What is unique about these three files?

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

Nothing...that's the thing. They are built just like every other file I create, and from the same parts pile (so to speak).

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

Have you go
Message 5 of 24
doug

Do you have xrefs attached (or overlaid) into your drawing?  If so, how many running OSNAPS do you have set?

When you have an xref attached and you move your mouse over the xref geometry, AutoCAD has to search the entire xref to locate all of the osnaps that you have set.  After locating all of those specified osnaps in the xref, AutoCAD then searches the area around your cursor to see which of those osnaps are in your cursor area.  When you move your mouse, the whole search process starts over again.

The size and quantity of xref(s) and the number of running osnaps will both impact the speed of the above process.  Your computer processing capability and video settings will also affect the speed.  If you have a high end computer you may never really notice the issue.

I learned of that problem about 11 years ago when a user was having the problem that you describe.  They had a file with xrefs and had all of the running osnaps turned on and when I set it to only a couple running osnaps, the problem went away.

That may or may not be your problem, but it is worth checking and may help someone out there as it is an issue.

Douglas Bowers, AIA, LEED AP
Revit Architecture 2016 Certified Professional
Revit Structure 2016 Certified Professional
Revit MEP 2016 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2016 Certified Professional
www.dougbowersconsulting.com
blog: http://aectechtalk.wordpress.com

Please use Mark Solutions > Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: doug

Not sure what happened to my previous post but I'll try again...

Is any of you drawing geometry a long way from 0,0? We have had issues in the past where drawings have been set up using ordanance survey coordinates which puts stuff kilometres away from 0,0 and things get very jumpy. Moving geometry closer to 0,0 has tended to fix this although it's not always possible to do this if project requirements won't allow it. We yhave also had drawings where a single element has been a huge distance away from the main part of the drawing thus creating huge drawing extents and this too has caused jumpy drawings.

As with Dougs suggestion above, no gaurantees that this is the source of your problem but just another point to consider.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

I have a jumpy cursor every time I do a block edit.  I'm fine going into the edit but my cursor becomes jumpy as soon as I exit.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I use the block editor or edit in place.  

I'm using Architecture 2011, standalone, on a 64-bit machine with 12 Gigs of Ram running under Windows 7.

All help appreciated

Message 8 of 24
Lala518

Bill, did you find a solution? I'm having the same problem. Also with 2011 - I just installed it last week. I'm also running Windows 7.

Message 9 of 24
David_W_Koch

Check out this recently posted Knowledge Base article, which lists several things to try: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS15127843

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 24
bens182

I've been having the same problem with Acad 2011 on a Win 7 PC. So sloooow in model space and completely unusable when in the block editor. Cursor is fine over the ribbon and menus etc, only becomes jumpy over the drawing area of the screen.

Since it shouldn't take me half hour to do a 5min task, even on a Friday afternoon, I did some testing. Loaded acad on another pc with Win 7 64bit and still had the same problem. Again, had the problem on Win7 64bit running through parrallels desktop on a current model iMac.

Tried everything in the knowledge base article, still no joy. Then noticed that even after I had disabled, aero, themes and all the pretty bits of Win 7 in the display settings, Themes as a service was still running. So, I stopped the 'Themes' service and wouldn't you know, problem solved, cursor is fast and smooth again.

Reading the other posts here, it does seem to be an issue with Acad 2011 on the Win7 x64 platform.

Hopefully this works for others.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

I sort of figured it out. The problem had propagated to several drawings and while working with one of them, I ended up deleting layers (and objects on them) until the problem stopped. After I deleted a certain block the issue seemed to go away, but this block is not in all of my files with the issue. I'll disable the themes as stated above as well

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous

Not wanting to spoil the party too much here but I'm running Win7 64bit with full Aero theme and have no problem with a jumpy cursor so the cause may not be directly attributed to the use of themes - maybe an out of date driver is the cause?

Message 13 of 24
CADMonkey01

It may only be certain portions of the Aero themes.  I had a user who was running a slideshow background on his desktop and that caused a whole lot of problems, but other users who had Aero set (w/o the slideshow) did not experience the same level of issues.  They still had some problems, just not as much.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous

Thanks for the verification that it's a Win7/ACA 20011 problem and not something I have wrong with the settings on my computer.

Tom

Message 15 of 24
jack

We have been back and forth on this with Autodesk since we first installed ACA 2011 on on our new Dells, going on 8 months ago. These are not slow pokes either; T5500 workstations, dual Xeon 5500 2.66 ghz, 12 gb ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Nvidia Quadro FX 4800. The issue seems to come and go, but mostly stays around once a file is affected. The issue seems to crop up once a file reaches some complexity. Not really a problem on the Model tab in a 2d plan view mode, but go to any sort of 3d view, hidden or not, rendered or linework, and it s a pain. We have tried all the switches and settings in both ACA and Win7 that everyone suggests to no avail. Hope springs eternally that 2012 will resolve it....;-)

Had one guy from Adesk tech support that really tried to help, sending us many ideas and at various times, not letting it just drop off his radar. Nothing seems to work. ACA 2008 was a dream compared to 2011.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

Hi, Bill

Did you ever sort this issue out successfully...I am running a similar computer to yours and am having difficulty with the jumpy cursor...it only happens when I am in "print window" mode trying to select the window to print....the cursor is fine on the first selection, but on subsequent print window window selection, the cursor is almost impossible to place and select...it takes great patience and perseverance to get it accomplished. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Windows 7 64 bit

AutoCad Architecture 2011 64 bit

3 Ghz processor

4 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT430

Message 17 of 24
mschmitt

My cursor worked fine until I installed Update 2.  I switched from aero to classic windows them, which helped a lot, then turned off themes all together, which helped even more.  My cursor isn't jumpy any more, unless I do something like select mtext to edit, then try to dynamic pan - this is very slow (and granted, I don't do this often).  I'm no computer genius, but it seams to me that something in the update changed how the memory in my graphics card is used, and changing aero and themes helped the symptoms, but not the problem.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Message 18 of 24
jmcbride

I seem to have the same thing happening in ACAD2012-Windows 7 64, but only when I enter Block Editor on a VERY complex dynamic block with close to a thousand visibilities (which is about half way finished).  It has become impossible to work with as it makes finishing the block a painfully slow process of "timing" where the mouse is going to end up.  I have done EVERYTHING listed in the knowledge base link.  Newest mouse and video card drivers and set evrything to basic in windows.  AutoCAD runs ok when I'm not in the block editor.

Message 19 of 24
CADbloke
in reply to: jmcbride

I found this worked in AutoCAD 2011:   disable the tooltips - ROLLOVERTIPS=0.

- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com
Message 20 of 24
jmcbride
in reply to: CADbloke

Rollover Tips set to 0 did not seem to help me in any way.  Not to say that it won't help some.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost