AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AECSPACE

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
emmyblair
1688 Views, 6 Replies

AECSPACE

I'm trying to find a simple overview of how to create and edit AEC objects. I've never used them before, and I generally keep CAD in two dimensions.

Some old drawings in my office used, I think, the command "aecspace" to define spaces. I'm able to convert polylines to spaces and change the necessary information in the Properties dialog box. Every other object in the drawings I'm working with is two dimensional, and I'm not sure the original drafter realized they were creating volumes instead of areas.

The main issue I'm having is defining spaces with "open to below" areas, but I'd really like to understand what exactly I'm working with. Is there a process similar to trim that works for these objects? Also any dumbed-down overview of AEC space would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: emmyblair

AECspaces are not necessary volume.  You can select the spaces and change them to 2D from properties palette.

If you only work in 2D then simply think of them as area boundary that can be put in a schedule if you have to.

Editing AECspace is as easy as editing hatch or pline.  You can use grip to move, stretch, add/remove vertex, convert line segment to arc and vice versa.  You can draw closed plines inside the space and subtract them to make holes.

I am not quite clear what problem you are having with "Open to Below".  Care to elaborate?

Message 3 of 7
emmyblair
in reply to: ToanDN

I'm looking at a gym with a running track at the second-floor level. I want the space object for the track to include only the area of the track, and not the full area of the gym.

Is that clear?

Thanks for responding.

As far as editing the outer boundary, I haven't had much trouble. I do wonder if I am missing something - when I hover over the grips, I get a window directing me to use Ctrl to toggle between options, but hitting Ctrl doesn't seem to do anything. I've been able to work around this, but please enlighten me if you can!

Message 4 of 7
ToanDN

I maybe thick today but what prevents you from editing the space boundary to include the running track only?

An example of using the CTRLwhen grip edit, you high light the space and select a corner grip, normally you stretch the grip, but with press CTRL will let you remove the vertext at that grip instead, etc.  I believe newer versions of ACA give you a dialog when you hover over a grip, so using CTRL method is not all that important.

Message 5 of 7
emmyblair
in reply to: ToanDN

The space is defined by two polylines; one is inside the other. I only know how to create an AECSPACE object based on a single polyline.

Thanks for the grip editing tip; what I was missing is that you have to click on the grip and start the action before using ctrl. Iwas trying to treat it like polylines, where you hover and select the action first.

Message 6 of 7
John.W.Mumaw

Define the space with the outermost polyline.  Then right click on the space and select "AEC Modify Tools", then "Subtract".  Select the inside polyline and follow the prompts.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 7 of 7
emmyblair
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Thanks for responding. No more confusion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost