AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 3d link to 3ds max workflow

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
lukearh
550 Views, 2 Replies

ACA 3d link to 3ds max workflow

Hello all,

I have a 3D bulding designed in ACA an d I want to link it in 3ds max. What is the workflow for that?

What file shoud I create to link the whole building to 3ds max, given the fact that the object is composed of more other files (constructs....etc). What file or view should I link?

Sorry if it looks like a dumb question but this is it...

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
aghis_no
in reply to: lukearh

The best workflow is:
1. create a "view" including all the "constructs" needed for the rendering.
2. Then, open 3dsmax and link the "view file" without forgetting to select the option to "include xrefs". And you are done. This will import all the materials you have created or used in ACA. Using this workflow you also have the possibility to import a "live section" (that you can create in ACA in the "view file") in case you want to have a rendering in 3d of a section of your building.
Some considerations:
a. The view should be a "General view" not a "section/elevation view" or a "Detail view". This is because the "General view" ATTACHES the constructs' Xrefs and the other two OVERLAY the constructs' Xrefs.
b. If you use the ACA for creating exterior renderings, you might want to reconsider your "Construct" file structure. For instance it might be interesting to break each level in several "constructs" (one for the exterior shell, one for walls, one for the furniture or any interior design…) This will give you the possibility to create several "view files" to be used in different renderings including only the necessary constructs for the specific rendering. Ex1. For an exterior rendering, you will create a "view" including only the exterior shell "constructs" and the walls "constructs" for each floor, avoiding including the furniture and keeping that way the 3ds file lighter and easier to manipulate. Ex2. In order to create an interior rendering  you will need to create a "view" including only the "constructs" of the floor concerned (shell, walls, furniture) and the structure "construct" (to include the floor slabs).
c. It is preferable to replace ACA materials by 3ds materials. This will speed up the renderings and will have a better result. So do not forget at every refresh of the file link to keep the scene materials.

hope it helps

Message 3 of 3
lukearh
in reply to: aghis_no

Is there a way to avoid importing the ACA materials?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost