AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 2011, 2013 Detail Components Cannot Open Database

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
zsmith3
842 Views, 11 Replies

ACA 2011, 2013 Detail Components Cannot Open Database

This issue is about to make me pull my hair out. We've been on ACA 2011 for some time now, and it has been working just fine until a few months ago. IT mistakenly installed 2013 on my workstation (At the time we were upgrading to Revit 2013, but leaving our Acad in 2011 because the dwg format change was messing with our established detail library). Since then, my detail components database is no longer working. When I click it, it says no database specified. When I go to specify one, I get 'cannot open database c:\programdata....' . Interestingly enough, the detail components work fine in ACA 2013.

I have Windows 7 64 bit, ACA 2011 as part of the Building Design Suite. .NET framework is version 4.5, and workstations where detail components ARE working have an identical .NET framework version. I can open the .mdb file in explorer via Microsoft Access 2003 Now, before you offer me something I've already heard, please read below the following things I've attempted -

1. I've copied the entire Details (US) folder from a working station and overwrote my own. When that didn't work, I copied the entire enu directiory from another workstation, still nothing. I've pretty much overwrote my entire ACA 2011 programdata directory at this point. Still nothing.

2. I've performed repairs, uninstalls, clean uninstalls, as well as reinstalls of both ACA 2011, 2013, and .NET framework in every order you can imagine. I've done registry sweeps all along as well. I feel like it has something to do with .NET, but as I said - a functioning workstation has the identical version and identical updates.

One thing worth mentioning is we do have Microsoft Office 2003 on our 64 bit computers. I had read that this could have something to do with it, but I couldn't find a lot of info on this.

I'm losing my mind here. Every time I hover over a detail component in an existing drawing, it errors too. I don't understand why this has to be so difficult to solve. I've scoured the internet for a solution, but it seems like this is one of those thing Autodesk does to force an office to upgrade.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
zsmith3
in reply to: zsmith3

Is there seriously no solution to this? I failed to mention, all other AEC content & toolbars work, except when I access detail components through the toolbar.

Message 3 of 12
Victoria.Studley

Hi zsmith,

It looks like you've taken a number of preliminary steps here. Have you tried the registry edit in the following forum post (marked as a solution several entries down)?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/Autocad-2013-Cannot-open-database-AecDtlComponent...

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 4 of 12
zsmith3
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

I have indeed tried that, and it did not work for me as it did for others. I pulled the .zip, extracted and merged it with ACA2011 closed, opened ACA and reloaded database, still nothing in ACA 2011. As I said, 2013 seems to work flawlessly.

I have administrative capabilites on our system as well, so it cannot be problem of permissions.

Message 5 of 12
zsmith3

Also worth mentioning - yesterday, the detail compoent database seemed to be 'loaded' into my options, and when I hit the detail component button it would error 5 times in a row (same error, cannot open database....). However, the database did not appear in the list to add/remove.

Today however, when I hit detail components it just tells me no database is loaded. When I go to load it in options, same error. I think this occured after I overwrote configuration files in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011 with a working station's files. Just thought I would mention that.

Message 6 of 12
Victoria.Studley

Have you tried switching profiles in Options?

Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Victoria Studley
Message 7 of 12
zsmith3

Have tried various profiles and templates. None can load the database. Some even make the detail component icon disappear, but all get the same error when I try.

We have Trend Micro Business Security Agent running. I'm not sure if it prevents registry edits- I would think not

Message 8 of 12
Victoria.Studley

If you disable the antivirus software and repair the program (then try the registry edit if it's still nto working) what happens?

Victoria Studley
Message 9 of 12
zsmith3

Will attempt - I'll keep you posted.

Message 10 of 12
bob
Explorer

I am having the same issue with ACA2012 and 2014. It seems to work fine on a unit with just one or the other but not both. Very frustrating

Message 11 of 12
zsmith3

Installs, repairs, and reg edits with trend micro disabled are unsuccessful. Still having this issue and going nuts. Logged into Win7 as multiple users and all have same problem.

I've got a working system on VNC on my other screen - Identical OS and CAD configuration. Are there specific things I can compare in the registry or system folders that might help isolate the problem? .NET version is exactly the same.

Message 12 of 12
dmessenger

I'm having this exact same problem with an ACA 2013 installation. Like the OP, I've tried all of the suggestions I can find on the internet. This installed from Building Design Suite, so the only thing I have not tried, is to uninstall it completely and re-install it. I may have to try that next though. Anyone ever find an additional solution to this problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost