AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Help. Curved simplification?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
577 Views, 1 Reply

3D Help. Curved simplification?

Say for example you have a 3D object that has multiple curved surfaces on it. Some are comparable to wavesm others are just rounded corners. Would there be a way to translate this shape from a smooth curved surface to one that is fasceted? I like to create objects, convert to .stl and print them with Pepakura. However, flat surfaces are a must. If this is possible, I would appreciate someone tell me how it is done. Thanks,

Tom

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
niranjan_kamath
in reply to: Anonymous

As I understood this issue you do not want a smooth curve 3D solid but need to have them faceted?

If yes, you may use this as a workaround:

Use the command MESHSMOOTH to convert 3D solids to mesh. You may also control the level of facet from the property palette of mesh.

once you use the MESHSMOTH command the object will get converted to MESH. Check if this helps; if Mesh is not an exceptable solution..

Next:

convert this Mesh to MASS ELEMENT by using the command _AecMassElementConvert. This will retain the facet values defined in the mesh. Now again; select the object ->right click ->convert to-> convert it back to 3D solid.

Now See the facet for the 3D solid that you have. I hope this helps…

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost