AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D section fra x-refs

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bjornhgr
536 Views, 4 Replies

2D section fra x-refs

Hi.

I have xref-ed two .dwg files into my drawing. They are on top of each other, and now I want to make horizontal sections from several smaller areas containing both files. However, when I do, all lines turn olive green and I loose the original layer structure (in the section, that is, not the original x-ref).

Is there a way to make these sections and keep the original layers in the sections? I'd rather not use xclip.

Thanks in advance

bMan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: bjornhgr

Set up a 2D Section/Elevation Style and, on the Design Rules tab, check the Maintain layer, color, linetype properties from the display set used during generation.  Then choose the Display Representation Set that is assiciated with the Top view direction of the Display Configuration that you use for your plan view, when generating your horizontal section.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
bjornhgr
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks, that was it!

One more thing though. When I make my 2D section, the layers containing text seem to disappear (See attached images). I've made sure all relevant layers are turned on and I've tried changing both elevation and depth of the cutting surface.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: bjornhgr

If I recall correctly, the hidden line removal feature ignores text, so generated 2D elevations and sections will not have any text from the original view/model.  The "as designed" work flow is to generate the 2D Section/Elevation from the model, and then add the annotation.  That does mean that tags in the model will not show in the generated result, and you cannot use a Schedule Tag on the 2D Section/Elevation to get property data from the source object.  If your 2D Section/Elevation is in the same file as the generating object, you could tag the object directly and then move the tag over to the 2D Section/Elevation.  (If you are doing the tagging through an external reference, you will want to make certain that a property data override is not being placed in the host file if you expect changes in the data on the original object to show up in the tag in the host file.)

Is there a reason why you are generating a 2D plan and not just displaying it "live"?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
bjornhgr
in reply to: David_W_Koch

First, thanks for your answers. I realize I'm not really following the intended work flow, but I was hoping this could be made to work anyway.:)

The reason is I need several sections, and the xref-ed files are a bit heavy, so I'd like to have only one instance in my drawing. The attached picture shows what I'm trying to do, referencing the red areas into the blue rectangles which are in turn my paperspace view. I'm going to sketch bridges on the referenced sections, and that would be more convenient if I had my cross section and longitudinal section nearby, like in the blue rectangle.

But this is just my way of thinking about it, and I suppose there may be other, better ways of accomplishing it. Using my method I'd also be able to incorporate changes to the original files, and that would be a good thing, of course.

bMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost