AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 hangs on draw and modify commands

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
twarchs
599 Views, 7 Replies

2014 hangs on draw and modify commands

the program will hang on draw and modify commands.  I thought it was the MAGNET option for osnap, but that is off.  It happens on almost all draw commands (circle, rectangle, line) and some modify commands (mirror), but not on move or copy.  Anyone else having this issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: twarchs

This happens in all files? Even if you start a new file?
If you change the Hardware Acceleration Setting in 2014, does the problem go away?
PC and OS specs?
Message 3 of 8
twarchs
in reply to: pendean

I turned off the Hardware Acceleration and that did not help; made the pointer movement spotty as if the snap mode was on.  It seems that the more entities the drawings has the more the commands hangs.  When starting out a new drawing, there is no issue with drawing a line or rectangle.  However, going into an existing drawing where there are hundreds of entities, the program hangs as if it is searching entities for a point to start.  With MAGNET turned on, it would search for the nearest entitiy, but it shouldn't with it turn off.

I'm using the program on Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop on a Mac OS X (10.7.5) with 16 gb memory.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

2D or 3D file?
How large is the DWG file?
What type of content? Do you use ACA tools and object types?

Our drawings have thousands of objects in them and there is no hanging involved.
Message 5 of 8
twarchs

both 2d and 3d objects; very large 7mb file.  We use ACA objects.  The 3d objects have their layers turned off. 

Message 6 of 8
pendean

Freeze layers instead of off and they don't get audited by AutoCAD commands and functions.
What kind of 3D objects? AutoCAD Solids or multi-face blocks you got from websites like Kohler etc.? 7MB is not huge.
Message 7 of 8
twarchs

I have found that drawing in the Model Space tab works just fine for all drawings.  The problem comes up with working in  any tab such as WORK-RCP or WORK-FLR.  When working within the viewports the issue of hanging comes about; it has to do with the viewports.  Working in Paper Space on these tabs is just fine...once I switch it to Model Space within the viewports is starts to have issues.

Message 8 of 8
pendean

OK, more good information.

Are you using VPMAX or literally just double-clicking inside a viewport after locking it, zooming in and limiting yourself to that portion of the model?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost