AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 / Project Navigator and Changing The Number of a sheet...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cadtastrophe
393 Views, 3 Replies

2009 / Project Navigator and Changing The Number of a sheet...

This is likely a futile grasp at an answer (but maybe, just maybe not):

When a sheet is renamed in P/N it does not change the name of the file (of course since the sheet name & number are fields who's values are derived from the name given in P/N), is there a way to change this? I imagine not as I think this through (since changing a field's value certainly can't change a file name), but humor me.

I've known of this for some time and its never been a problem however we now have a large project where along the way sections of the sheet set were moved (renumbered) and now when we try to create a new sheet (say for example A-704) we get a message that it can not be created because that file already exists (or do we want to write over the existing file, to which the answer is NO). We have a string of sheets that are 1 number off from the corresponding file (sheet 704 was created, views attached, references made and later changed it to 703 so now we have sheet 703 which is really .dwg 704).

If we rename the file in explorer then the link in P/N is terminated.

Deleting & replacing the existing sheet is not an option since we have 20+ details on each of these sheets which have scores of call outs throughout the project referencing them.

We used the obvious work around of giving the new file a false name then renaming the sheet (which is fine) however it sure would be nice if file names matched sheet names even if a sheet name were changed. Ok I'll now go back to Shangri-La.

Jeff
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cadtastrophe

In the sheet tab of PN... right-click on the sheet you want to rename, pick Rename and Renumber.

There should be a box at the bottom with Rename Options. Make sure to check Rename drawing file to match: Sheet Title. The check boxes are in sort of weird places IMHO. You can also rename the layout.

If this option is not there... I don't recall having to turn it on, but I do remember not noticing it!

- Sarah Gardescu
Message 3 of 4
cadtastrophe

Thanks Sarah.

(I think I might have misstated what I needed to do), you are right it is there, and we were aware of that, however this doesn't solve the problem since the number we need is already joined to another sheet. Crazy as it sounds Sheet A-702 was actually A-703.dwg and Sheet A-703 was actually A-704.dwg therefore when we went to create a new sheet A-704 it could not be done since that .dwg already existed.

We did solve it, though. I renamed the two files (in PN) to A-702a & A703a, after doing this I went to windows explorer and noticed the new files (with the proper corresponding xml files) however also remaining were the original .xml files and also one for A-704, I deleted these and then went back to project navigator and renamed the sheets back to A-702 & A-703 with no problem then was able to add the new sheet since the xml files were now associated with the proper dwgs.

I dont know if I articulated that well enough to help anyone in the future but that's what worked.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Very interesting, thanks for posting the solution. One more thing to check on when things seem odd.

And, yes I've had the same issue where we had to "swap" sheets around in the set...

- Sarah

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost