AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 GB vs 1 GB of RAM on Windows XP Prof. OS based pc

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dadaji
1189 Views, 4 Replies

2 GB vs 1 GB of RAM on Windows XP Prof. OS based pc

{color:#0000ff}AutoCAD 2010 [Arch.] : 32 bit and 64 bit versions require 2 GB of RAM.
Is that a min. requirement without which it won't run on a Windows with XP Professional - OS based PC?
Which on could be a better choic to buy if price is not different.

The max I have is 1 Gig.
Please advise.{color}
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: dadaji

Do you have the option of installing either a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows XP? If not, you will need to get the version of ACA 2010 that matches the operating system. If so, if all you have is 1 GB of RAM, I am not certain that it really matters. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about operating systems than I am (just about anyone) could say which version of XP uses the most RAM (if they do not both use the same amount). The main advantage of a 64-bit operating system is that you can access far more RAM than you can in a 32-bit system (which maxes out somewhere under 4 GB), but that is of little help if you do not have the RAM. If you expect to install more RAM in the near future, then 64-bit would probably be the way to go, assuming that your computer is capable of taking more that 4 GB.

You can probably run ACA 2010 on a machine with 1 GB of RAM, but you will probably want to stay in a 2D Wireframe plan view as much as possible, and should expect slow performance and a lot of hard drive paging. I would not want to do that on a production machine.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Reality Check: MINIMUM requirements are a marketing
ploy, a trick, a LIE, to make it appear as though any old PC will work with
ACA2010.

Use the posted RECOMMENDED requirements, which is a
realistic solution.

XP is supported, 1Gig is below the recommended
solution and inadequate if you want to do anything other than basic 2D drafting.
You will spend a long time waiting for Saves to finish, the program to start,
and the program to close.

Message 4 of 5
marymk

Hey,

So I haven't been able to find an answer to my situation in any of the discussions. This once seems the closest but not really. I have WinXP Core 2 duo with a 1GB RAM as well. I'm a student with what I would say a beginners experience with AutoCAD.

In any case, from all that I've read I understand that I won't be able to run AutoCAD 2010 on my computer. So I was wondering if any of the older versions of AutoCAD would run on my computer instead & which one would you recommend. I want to practice on 2D but if it was possible, with 3D modelling as well.

So I'd really appreciate if someone would let me know which version of AutoCAD would work for me.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: marymk

Since you cannot legally purchase an old enough version and you cannot authorize it to use it, the answer will not help: autocad 2006 or lower. Go look for another cad program with lower hardware needs: Autodesk makes a few as do others.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost