Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Complex Solid Surface to Solid Model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sinsremoved
1959 Views, 3 Replies

Converting Complex Solid Surface to Solid Model

I have finally created the shell of the complex surface that you see. This is only a section of the part because I cannot show the whole thing for proprietary reasons. I formed solid surfaces using the network command. The propblem is that it will not convert to a solid because the surface seams are not "water tight." When the network command created the solid surfaces, the surface seams do not exactly match the lines so there are gaps in all the seams. I have tried blending, patching, etc. and nothing works. Does anybody know how to convert this to a solid without losing the outlines and the shape?acad.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: sinsremoved

If you use a program like Autodesk Inventor there is a command named Stitch that allows you to enter a gap tolerance.

This might also be available in Fusion 360.

You can download a free trial of Inventor or I think Fusion 360 (Fusion 360 is $25/month, so if you only need for one job...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
sinsremoved

It worked! One million thank yous!

I loaded a trial version of Inventor but I could not find the stitch command. I was unable to do much with Inventor because I was not familiar with the format. I didn't have time to learn it. But I did have last year's Inventor Fusion 2013 and I was able to use the stitch command with great ease. It stitched my solid surfaces and turned it into a solid. The only descrepancy was that it scaled it up by one and a half times. No problem, I just scaled it back down and it worked perfect.

Will AutoCAD ever have the stitch command?

I have signed up for Fusion 360 but I am not familiar with it yet.

Thank you again!

Message 4 of 4
JDMather

@sinsremoved wrote:

It worked! One million thank yous!

I loaded a trial version of Inventor but I could not find the stitch command.

@you can send the one million dollars to JD Mather @Anonymous    Smiley LOL

My guess is that you Opened the dwg (2D) in Inventor rather than Import (3D) and that is why you didn't see
Stitch.

Import dwg.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost