Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wacky dimensions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sfoidk
291 Views, 4 Replies

wacky dimensions

Sometimes when adding a simple linear dimension, the dimension seems to pick its own ucs, go angular, and is just wrong.  What is that?  I'm about to throw this thing.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: sfoidk

Welcome to the Autodesk forums... sorry for the trouble you are having.  Can you attach a sample drawing with some of the mis-behaving dimensions?

Message 3 of 5
RTPrider

I have the same problem sometimes - like right now. I am trying to get a diameter dimension from an Inventor style section view ad it zings off to somewhere in the slight left of the planet's core. It usually seems to happen with the new Inventor-style views after the dwg file has a few tabs and multiple views on each sheet.. Sometimes I have old-style views on the same sheet in order to get different viewing angles and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Might be a memory problem. This PC at work does not have a dedicated GPU with separate VRAM. It shares the system CPU and RAM for everything but it is all I have and I don't think I am getting a real CAD workstation any time soon. I may just have to stick with the old-style views and layer control instead of being able to select the items I need.
Message 4 of 5
dbroad

In my experience, several things affect behavior:

1) DDUCS.  If this is on and your cursor runs over any object that has surface or volume, the ucs will automatically adapt to that direction.  This is easy to fix.  Turn it off until you need it.

2) Dimensioning in non-ucs coordinate systems.  AutoCAD doesn't like to dimension arcs in non-ucs coordinate systems.  Be sure to dimension arcs in WCS.

There could be others.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 5
RTPrider
in reply to: dbroad

No, I turned off Dynamic USC a long time ago.  I never use it - it is a real PITA, IMNSHO.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost