Did you mean: 

unusual Shape to be drawn in solids

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Briz1967
589 Views, 18 Replies

unusual Shape to be drawn in solids

Can anyone help me?

I am working on a project (using autocad 2011)  that has a building with a two way sloping roof. What i am trying to do is draw a shape in 'solids' that replecates the shape of this building.

Is it possible to create a six faced shape with 4 different vertical co-ordinates. a flat bottom, 4 different shaped sides, and with top face sloping from east to west, and north to south?

Cheers

Brian. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: Briz1967

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Message 3 of 19
Briz1967
in reply to: dmfrazier

This photo should indicate the concept.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Message 4 of 19
dmfrazier

I'm no 3D expert, but while you wait for one to chime in, it seems to me this is just a "box" (elongated, rectangular), with its corners pushed and pulled a bit to get the right dimensions along the edges.  Start there (box), and start grip-editing.

Message 5 of 19
Patchy

Like this? Loft them to 3D

Message 6 of 19
Briz1967
in reply to: Patchy

HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO THIS?

Brian

Message 7 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: Patchy

...or this.

Loft surface line-to-line

Extrude base

Slice with surface.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
Patchy

Draw 2 triangles using 3DPOLY command, LOFT, and then UNION

Or draw them like JD's way, then SLICE it with 3 points.

Message 9 of 19
nestly2

... or SLICE if the "top" surface is planar...

SLICE - 3Point.gif

Message 10 of 19
dmfrazier
in reply to: nestly2

Slice. That's the part I was having trouble with.  Nice demo.

Message 11 of 19
nestly2

Here's a couple more methods already suggested

Loft 2 plines.gif

Grip editing 3D solid.gif

Message 12 of 19
dmfrazier

In that 2nd demo, what did you do to the box (or to settings) that allowed the four "top" corners to be grip-edited independently? 

Message 13 of 19
nestly2

dmfrazier wrote:

In that 2nd demo, what did you do to the box (or to settings) that allowed the four "top" corners to be grip-edited independently? 

CTRL + Click on a Vertex, Edge, or Face of any solid or surface to activate SubObject Selection.

Message 14 of 19
dmfrazier

Yes, I am able to get the corners to "light up", but when I move one corner down, the adjacent top corner moves with it, even though I have not selected it.  So I can only make the "roof" slope in one direction.  Also, I do not see a line appear on the top surface going from one top corner to the corner diagonally opposite, as your demo shows.  It's as if your "box" has extra "edges" or vertices.

Message 15 of 19
nestly2

Make sure you're clicking right on the corner (vertex)... it sounds like you're selecting a edge, which will light up (and move) all the red dots at the same time.

Message 16 of 19
dmfrazier

Actually, there's a little options menu that flies out when I select the vertex.  I had to click "Allow Triangulation" for it to work as your demo showed.

(Demos are great and can make things look so easy, but often the keys are in the underlying settings and options.)

Thanks for the additional tips.

Message 17 of 19
nestly2

My mistake  Although I have '12, '13, & '14 installed,  2011 is my preferred version, which doesn't have that extra menu.  I didn't know it was even there.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 18 of 19
Briz1967

i'm gonna sound pretty dim here but i can only draw my poly lines on the x and y axiis whist following the instructions on demo 2?

Do i need to adjust my viewport settings in some way to be able to use the z axis?.

Im just working  in a sw viewport and i suspect i need to something more drastic  to make this possible.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Brian

Message 19 of 19
nestly2

That's the age old dilema of UCS vs View in a 3D environment.  To draw your shape using polylines / Loft as shown in the animation, you have to draw the "left" and "right" sides, so you have to change the UCS to either "Left" or "Right". (PLines can only be drawn in the X/Y axis).    Remember that the Viewport controls in the canvas and the Ribbon will change the UCS and the "view"  (Top/Bottom/Left/Right/Front/Back) while the Viewcube changes the "view" without changing the UCS

I recommend finding some reading material / tutorials on managing the UCS in AutoCAD.

UCS vs View.gif

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost