Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

textstyle & dimstyle

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mazh045
1515 Views, 6 Replies

textstyle & dimstyle

I'm quite novice with text and dim style on autocad. I do understand that it can be useful when modyfing the arrow style, colors, etc. But especially for initial plan scale. 

But when it comes the time to ajust the scale of my drawing with dimstyle and textstyle, I'm lost and most of the time the text isn't a the good dimension etc. I tried to find a tutorial where I could actually make my own standards for textstyle and dimstyle. But I don't understand how to convert the scales for text high, cotations, etc. In metric for exemple, how do I find the text height and arrow height at a scale of 1-500, 1-50, 1-2? Same for imperial, 1-16, 1-4, etc. 

Actually, I'm really fu**ed up with all this things and I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks, David

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: mazh045

Messing around with dimenson scaling is unnecessary.  There are 3 viable options that don't require the user to ever have to calculate text height/arrow size

1) Dimension in Paperspace.

• The dimensions are drawn at their real-world size regardless of the scale of the model / viewport

2) Dimension in a ModelSpace Layout using "Scale to Dimensions to Layout"

• Dimensions are automatically scaled to match the scale of the viewport

3) Use Annotative dimension  (this is the most powerful option, but also the one hardest to understand)

• New dimensions are automatically scaled to match the current annotation scale, but can also automatically resize themselves to the correct size when/if the scale is changed.

I will try to find a good resource that explaines the differences, advantages and disadvantages of each.

Message 3 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: nestly2

Although not a feature comparison as I mentioned above, here's a good video showing the basic concept of Annotative Scaling.

Basically, if you just choose the Annotative dimesions style, and start dimensioning, you'll be good to go.  After placing a few dimensions, change the annotative scale in the Scale List box as shown in the video and you should see how they work (assuming you haven't turned off the default annotative features)  Also, the video does not show this, but you can selectively choose whether or not to have Annotative objects displayed at the other scales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXaXOoZdC3Q

Message 4 of 7
3wood

The quickest way is copying some template files from other people and follow their standards.

Message 5 of 7
mazh045
in reply to: 3wood

Thank you both of you for your help.

Annotative is quite impressing when you're skilled with, indeed. It's very interesting, but I'd like to learn how to do so at least to understand how it works before to step directly to annotative, if you understand.

3wood, maybe you have some template files I could actually have a look to?

Thanks again,
David
Message 6 of 7
steve216586

Setting up a template with text & dimension styles may seem daunting at first but there is a practical way of looking at these two features to work together and correctly for your purposes. I say "your purposes" because everyone has their own standards whether they create them new or an approving authority, like a DOT, dictates them to the user.

1) Select what size text you want your standard text to be. Common size is 1/8th inch. (Many use other sizes based on preference or paper plot size though.)

2) Select what font you want to use. (Again preference or what is dictated)

3) Open the "Dimension Style Manager" dialog and go through tab by tab.

Always remember the settings for dimensions should be what you want to see in your finished plot as if it were 1:1 scale. Imagine if you had to draw them by hand and how you want them to look. You don't want the arrows to be too big or too small. You don't want extension lines to be too close or too far from object lines, etc, etc. There are plenty of references on the web which will give you variables as to many of the settings.

As far as scaling. If you don't use Annotative dimensions and text you will probably want to use the "Use overall scale" option in the Dimension Style Manager to scale your dimensions by the factor you set your viewport or by the scale of your title block if plotting from Modelspace. This way you don't need to have more than one dimension style. I always set the text height in the TEXTSTYLE manager to 0 if using this method and let the dimension scale control it to match all text on the sheet.

this link has tutorials for setting up Arch or Mech dimension styles: http://www.schooltube.com/video/f9b5d55f1607b9349f50/

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 7 of 7
mhmsiyath
in reply to: steve216586

your link is not working

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost