Did you mean: 

spread (lay) out 3d surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Yonas89
881 Views, 4 Replies

spread (lay) out 3d surface

Dear all,

I have made a 3d model of my kayak, which is made from planks. Each plank is a surface which border coordinates (x,y,z) always vary. 

What I need is to draw this plank on the paper and make a templates to cut a real planks from veneer to make a kayak. I know the Autocad capabilities to make projections or flatshots, but this time I need to get a drawing with real dimmensions, not a projection in any plane. Is it possible to do it? 

I am unable to attach my drawing, but I add a picture from internet, which reflects my design. Each black strip is a chine, where the one plank ends and the other starts, thus I need to cut this planks precisely. 

Thank you in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Yonas89

Sound like you are referring to "unfolding", similar in process to taking a sheet metal box and bending it out into a flat pattern.

No, AutoCAD can't do that.  Mechanical might, Inventor should; either way the complex curves will pose a challenge for modelling.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
Yonas89
in reply to: dgorsman

yes, "unfold" and make a flat pattern, that was the right word. Thanks for your information. 

Message 4 of 5
jggerth1
in reply to: Yonas89

I'd call that a canoe rather than a kayak.  🙂

What's your end game here?  is this something to build personally, an exercise in CAD, or something else?  Do you need to generate manufacturing plans? or??

FWIW -- a paddle boat of that type would never, or at least _has_ never, been made that way.   Either sewn together with plywood, or buil up from strips.  haveing a very fwe wide planks just looks to me as a failure waiting to happen.  the edge to edge joints running the length, plus the but joints, just would not be conducive to a seren experince on the water, as opposed to under it.

Message 5 of 5
Yonas89
in reply to: jggerth1

Yes, my goal is to make my own kayak, thus the other goal is to get plans for starting. 

I know that, it is a canoe in the picture, but as I mentioned this was not from my drawing, but som picture from internet which represents the same way of my building method. 

I am not quite understand your point: "a paddle boat of that type would never, or at least _has_ never, been made that way", but I believe you misunderstood me. I build kayaks in "stich and glue" method in which the planks are sewn together and then glued. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost