Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relative path by default

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bertbert
3272 Views, 7 Replies

relative path by default

Hello out there! I am looking for a way to make xref/image path relative by default. I have not found a solution for that. Has anyone got an idea?

Best regards,

bertbert

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: bertbert

No built-in ability.
Message 3 of 8
maxim_k

Hi,

You can try this:

- run XATTACH command at least once

- start Registry Editor, and search for "XattachDialog" (without quotes), this will open Registry key, with the path something like this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT\RXXX\ACAD-XXX:XXX\Profiles\<<YOUR PROFILE NAME(or Unnamed Profile)>>\Dialogs\XattachDialog

Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 9.10.25.png

-look for "Path Type" key and set it to:

0 - if you want to have "Full" as default in XATTACH command

1 - if you want to have "Relative Path" as default in XATTACH command (except for Unsaved drawings)

2 - if you want to have "No Path" as default in XATTACH command (except for Unsaved drawings)

DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY (OR AT LEAST THE KEY YOU EDIT) BEFORE MAKING CHANGES!

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 8
bertbert
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you!

Strange that there is no simple way for this! relative paths seem to make so much more sense in general!

best regards,

Bertbert

Message 5 of 8
DavidTerry88

I believe the reason it's default, is that the actual location of your reference shouldn't change, even if you moved the .dwg file around. Also, if the .dwg isn't saved anywhere, it has no way to understand a relative reference. 

I make sure to keep all my references in the same folder as my drawing tho, such that the entire drawing set, with all references etc., can be copied at once, so I always have to update my references to relative.

Message 6 of 8
cadffm
in reply to: DavidTerry88

I don't know why you answer to this 5 years old thread, but today (since version 2015?) you will find the variable REFPATHTYPE as usual systemvariable in Autocad.
- Sebastian -
Message 7 of 8
ArchD

This is actually default in 2019 with REFPATHTYPE set to 1

*edit* I fell victim to another resurrected post! Dead posts all around me. They're all I see!

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 8 of 8
DavidTerry88
in reply to: cadffm

I didn't notice this was an old thread, it came up first on google and it had exactly the information I was looking for (altho it was the opposite answer than what I wanted).

Thanks for letting me now the solution to this path question!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost