Distinguished Contributor
m.granata
Message 1 of 17 (20,970 Views)
Accepted Solution

pdf to dwg converter

20970 Views, 16 Replies
11-02-2012 10:39 AM

Hello,

Does anybody here know of a pdf to dwg converter that works very well.  I am recreating some old drawings with Inventor that are currently in pdf format and would like to convert them to dwg's simply so I check the missing dimensions using AutoCAD.  I've seen several converters out there and have tried one.  However, the converter I tried resulted with the dwg being created with short polyline segments.

Thank you,

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 17 (20,948 Views)

Re: pdf to dwg converter

11-03-2012 03:25 AM in reply to: m.granata

Hi,

>> would like to convert them to dwg's simply so I check the missing dimensions

You don't need to convert the PDF to DWG to do that, just attach the PDF (command _PDFATTACH), scale it by reference so the attached PDF is then in correct size.

From now on you can do measuring without converting the PDF to AutoCAD-geometry.

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 3 of 17 (20,944 Views)

11-03-2012 05:22 AM in reply to: m.granata

First keep in mind that the PDF file format is a popular plot file format and it has no intelligent objects and the coordinate precision has been reduced as it's in page coordinates.  The evaluation version of the product may have been chopping up the long vectors on purpose to limit the usefulness of it's results (ours is time limited).

If you haven't done so, take a look at DotSoft's PdfImport tool, or send us your PDF file for an analysis,

m.granata
Message 4 of 17 (20,930 Views)

11-03-2012 05:23 PM in reply to: m.granata

Thanks, I checked out DotSoft.  My question is this , I am fairly sure the pdf files I am provided have been scanned from old hardcopy drawings.  Does this mean even with DotSoft I wouldn't be able too use AutoCAD's object snaps to check line lengths, curve radii, etc.?

Thank you,

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 17 (20,917 Views)

11-04-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: m.granata
Scans are the worst quality PDFs for conversion available. Try the demo as suggested, just don't forget the first sentence I wrote here.
If this is a big project and your need for precision is high, have you considered paying a service for CAD drafting? Usually best in the long run.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 6 of 17 (20,912 Views)

11-04-2012 07:46 AM in reply to: m.granata

First and foremost, if you are looking for any level of accuracy from a scanned image, the drawing has to be reconstructed from known values such as dimensions.  I hope I never step foot in a building where the plans were restored from the vectorization of a scanned image.  Remember, a scanned drawing has no precision, it's like a photograph, just pixels.

As for our software, our PDF tools have the ability to transfer the contents of a PDF into a drawing, and our ToolPac product has the ability to vectorize a scanned image that comes from that process.

My final advice, DON'T EVER check lengths or curve data from the contents of a PDF, even one that was vectors.  The PDF file format is a popular plot file format.

m.granata
Message 7 of 17 (20,905 Views)

11-04-2012 10:29 AM in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks for the info and input.  I'll look at your products in more detail.

" My final advice, DON'T EVER check lengths or curve data from the contents of a PDF, even one that was vectors.  The PDF file format is a popular plot file format."

I am fully aware of this.  Fortunately, I am not working on any type of structure and the missing info relates to cosmetic features.  If I am off slightly the integrity of the item is not effected.

Thanks again,

phardisonadsk
Message 8 of 17 (20,745 Views)

11-15-2012 07:55 AM in reply to: m.granata

AutoCAD 2013 allows you to attach PDF file without a conversion, you could insert it as a PDF underlay in a DWG file. There are tools like Any PDF to DWG Converter, Aide PDF to DXF Converter that will convert PDF to DWG/DXF.

Realgameface
Message 9 of 17 (20,577 Views)

12-10-2012 07:52 AM in reply to: phardisonadsk

Hi,

My company currently are upgrading our pc's and will be getting the newest versions of autocad when we do. I have a question relating to this post which my boss asked me to look into. Currently there are programs out there that you can convert a pdf drawing into a dwg. Is that last post sayingwhat I think it is and that you don't need these converters now for 2013 and it will bring in the pdf and convert it in autocad to a dwg drawing?

Sorry if this sounds a silly questions but I've never actually dealt with this before.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 10 of 17 (20,556 Views)

12-10-2012 12:32 PM in reply to: Realgameface

"Is that last post sayingwhat I think it is and that you don't need these converters now for 2013 and it will bring in the pdf and convert it in autocad to a dwg drawing?"

That last post was simply saying that there is an alternative (which may or may not be what you need or want).  You can "attach" PDF files as "underlays", which are a type of XREF.  This procedure does not in any way "convert" the PDF document into AutoCAD entities (e.g. circles and lines) that can be edited with AutoCAD commands.  The underlay is basically there for reference.  (For more info, check Help, About Underlays.)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube