Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odd problem... lots of unknown linetypes are showing up from nowhere???

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
draftorb
4939 Views, 10 Replies

odd problem... lots of unknown linetypes are showing up from nowhere???

basically i have two drawing files. Both have the same linetypes. I draw a line (doesn't matter in which file) on any linetype. Then cut and past it into the other drawing. Then for some reason a whole lot of unknown linetypes show up in my linetype manager. when i go into linetype manager and load, they aren't there. So how can one linetype bring in  dozens of mysterious linetypes? 

These mysterious linetypes aren't in either files linetype manager, or in the load area before i cut and paste.

I've attached pictures to show the linetypes that are showing up for some reason.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: draftorb

Hi,

>> These mysterious linetypes aren't in either files linetype manager, or in the load area before i cut and paste.

So creating 2 new drawings based on original AutoCAD templates, then draw a line in the first, copy and paste this line into the second drawing creates that linetypes?

Or is it specific to a specific source-drawing, if so delete all the geometry in that drawing (make a copy before), then try to recreate the issue (draw a line, copy and paste it into a new dwg). If that is now reproducable (so you get the misterious linetypes in the new drawing) then upload the source-drawing here so we can play with it.

BTW: are you using a vertical product like ACA, MEP ...?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11
abubakars
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I doubt that your drawing contains DGN linetypes which will be carried to another drawing if you copy and paste objects from that drawing to another drawing and the AutoCAD purge command will not purge them.Try the batch tools available as free from http://www.cadmanagertools.com

you can use either Batch-In-Editor or Batch-In-Database to clean up all your affted files and let me know that helps you or not

DGN linetype purge.PNG

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Are these converted DGN files?
Message 5 of 11
abubakars
in reply to: pendean

There might be chances saved as DWG format from Microstation

Message 6 of 11
DaveM
in reply to: abubakars

I had the same issue with my template because i pulled something from a dgn into my template. I had to recreate my entire template from scratch to fix the issue. I hope someone here has a better solution for you.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 7 of 11
draftorb

SORRY, let me be more clear because I didn't quite grasp the complexity of the problem at the times......so some updated details, it doesn't jump from template to templates. doesn't jump from new drawings to new drawings. My templates are clean. It just jumps from existing drawings to existing or existing to new...... So it obviously started from a source drawing.

And there's literally 1000s of drawings on our system with at least a few hundred since this problem occured so finding whats infected or where or when it started is a task that would take a few full days....at least. 

I've tried purge, but..... I did the same process i mentioned in the first post, into  a new drawing. deleted everything...blocks, shapes, every last entity i could find, all the other linetypes could be purged just not these 'Virus linetypes'. 

I don't understand how one linetype can bring in dozens more. that appear not to be connected to anything.

They're not in those .lin file things...

If anybody can tell me is there somewhere else linetypes can load? I've briefly read something about .shx files, can linetypes come from there?

This makes me nervous for the fact it jumps like a Virus, from infected to uninfected with no way to remove it....

And I would attach a CAD file but I don't want to spread this problem...

We work with several different fields and I realize some are using other CAD software, so they could be from microstation or others that I'm not famliiar, so yes some are converted, but it's jump to are plain old regular autocad files. So if that's the case, they're must be files  somewhere on the computer. Anyone know where i can look? (it's not in .lin files) Also in response, I'm personally not using any vertical products, other fields we work with might, but we always receive files in Autocad form. they do the converting.

Message 8 of 11
draftorb
in reply to: abubakars

trust me, I didn't believe it couldn't be purged, but it can't, and I don't know why if i draw, lets say a hidden line, then copy and paste, it brings in 10-15 more linetypes into a new drawing.

Message 9 of 11
rkmcswain

@draftorb wrote:

I don't understand how one linetype can bring in dozens more. that appear not to be connected to anything.

They're not in those .lin file things...

1. It's not a linetype bringing along another linetype, it's an entity that contains some non-graphical data attached to it, which in turn references something else which in turn references other things, like in this case, some linetypes.  There is another thread fairly current on this same topic, let me see if I can find the link. 

EDIT: Here it is: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Linetype-that-will-not-purge/m-p/4304295#...

2. .LIN files have nothing to do with linetypes in a given drawing. A .LIN file is simply an ASCII container for one or more linetype defintions.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 10 of 11
dgorsman

Linetypes don't necessarily require external files.  Everything thats needed to define a given linetype is stored in the DWG file, with the exception of shapes from SHX files, or fonts from text placed in the linetype.  Even then, the linetype is wholly in the DWG file.  So its entirely possibly you won't find a "source file" for these rogue linetypes.

Don't worry *too* much about posting a file.  As long as its suitably noted as being problematic it should be OK.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 11
abubakars

I recently came across the linetype issue when a drawing from outside consultant was passed to draftman from design engineer without CAD manager's knowledge and it started to infect other files and we did not notice untill it became an issue of slow performance and bigger drawing sizes, we had about 1,200 drawings to be cleaned and  luckily we used the batch tool expecially the batch process which runs in database, over night in multiple systems to get ride of the DGN linetypes and now our CAD users are instructed to be cautious about slow CAD responses in any drawing and the same to be immediately reported to CAD manager to check and rectify. So it is doable with the team work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost