Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to dimension when viewports with different scales in paper space

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
4931 Views, 3 Replies

how to dimension when viewports with different scales in paper space

I searched the forum but didn't really find the answer I was looking for.  In layout, I have multiple viewports with various scales. I'd like to keep all dimension at the same scale. It'd probably be the easiest to dimension in paper space. What is the proper way to dimension in model space so viewports with multiple drawing scales will have one dimension scale in layout?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
3wood
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the proper way to dimension in model space so viewports with multiple drawing scales will have one dimension scale in layout?

Usually people create different dimension styles in paperspace for different scaled viewports, not in the model space.

Message 3 of 4
M_Hensley
in reply to: Anonymous

An annotative dimension will adjust to suit the viewport scale. You may want to study up on them in help first.

Message 4 of 4
nestly2
in reply to: M_Hensley

1) AutoCAD will automatically apply the correct scale based on the viewport scale, (see attached) however if the dimension will be visible in multiple viewports, then you'll need a layer for each size dimension to control visibility.

2) Placing the dimensions in Paperspace also eliminates any manual scaling calculations by using only one Dimstyle, but you have to finalize the scale and view center before placing any dimensions because the dims won't move when you pan/zoom the view.

3) Annotative dimensions seems to be the most efficient way to dimension objects shown at different scales, but it's also the hardest to learn/understand.

I use #1 for simple drawings, otherwise method #3

Scale Dimensions to Layout.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost