Distinguished Contributor
ccad2509
Message 1 of 6 (208 Views)

how best to manage blocks

208 Views, 5 Replies
12-11-2012 04:55 AM

OK

New client has multiple blocks in multiple locations on their servers

Problem 1 lots of directories just named blocks with blocks with no logical numbering descriptions

I.e. a directory may have blocks called 1, 2, 3, x, d, f, and if I’m lucky sometimes 3/2 valve which means having to open up every block

Problem 2

Simple solution would be to create a tool pallete of the directory then drop each block into a sheet to look and review

Since there is literally thousands of blocks it’s going to be labour intensive

I’m open to ideas on how to clean this mess up

a simple lisp routine to dump all the blocks in a tool pallete into a drawing nice and neat would be the simplest solution

From there I can then start to review the blocks and the create a clean block directory structure and rename the blocks with a more descriptive file name

any ideas  ?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (202 Views)

Re: how best to manage blocks

12-11-2012 05:25 AM in reply to: ccad2509

There aere no shortcuts to housecleaning: sorry, you are goin to have to get your hands dirty and spend time fixing it.

ADCENTER command has the ability to create TPs of Folders on the fly for you if you simply right-click and select the option, so that portion can be cut down dramatically. The tip will not handle sub-folders BTW.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 3 of 6 (199 Views)

12-11-2012 05:46 AM in reply to: ccad2509

"...it’s going to be labour intensive."

I think you already have the answer.

One thing I would recommend: Determine and/or establish categories into which you can group and consolidate blocks. Based on these categories, define what I call "container drawings", rather than folders, to organize the blocks.  Once a category of blocks is organized within a DWG, creating one or more palettes of block insertion tools is fairly easy, and I think it simplifies maintenance as well.

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 4 of 6 (182 Views)

12-11-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: ccad2509

You can try attached LISTBLOCKS.vlx to create block charts for selected folder.

An example as below:

listblocks.png

Distinguished Contributor
ccad2509
Message 5 of 6 (154 Views)

12-12-2012 08:36 AM in reply to: 3wood

looks a lot like what i need to sort this mess of blocks out

will give it a try later

thanks

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 6 of 6 (137 Views)

12-12-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: ccad2509

DesignCenter also has a "create tool palette of blocks" option, if you need a built-in method.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube