Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freezing between model & layout Tabs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Arkctic
409 Views, 5 Replies

freezing between model & layout Tabs

I have received an out side drawing with 6 Xrefs. The drawing takes about 15 minutes to open.

I have narrowed it down to one Xref causing the problem.

The Xref opens without any problem and I can switch between tabs in the Xref, however when it is loaded into the drawing it takes about 10 minutes to switch between tabs for the first time.

After that it switches instantanious.

If I save and Etransmit the drawing again when I open it I have the exact same problem.

Without the offending Xref being loaded I can switch between tabs with no problem, however once I load the Xref it takes 10 minutes to switch.

I am using Autocad 2013, and my computer surpasses what is recommended for 2013.

Any Suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: Arkctic

The starter, generic answer would be to audit, recover, and/or rebuild the offending drawing.

If you want to investigate deeper and maybe find out a hidden cause, get and use Process Monitor to watch file and registry activity in real time during the delay. You might find something like a bad hyperlink or embedded shape file reference or something that is essentially causing AutoCAD and the O/S to pause while it searches (that is a common reason for 'freezing').

If you need it, here is an overview of how to do that, just note that when this post was written, the app name was called FileMon - but it is named Process Monitor now.   Tracking down why that application is slow

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
Arkctic
in reply to: rkmcswain

Done audit and purge and recover, cannot do a rebuild of the offending X ref, as the drawing has come in from an outside source
Message 4 of 6
braudpat

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Please on your "bad" XREF, could you :

- Open in RECOVER Mode - Done I imagine

- PURGE everything (many times if necessary) - Done I imagine

- SCALELISTEDIT and delete all Scales except the current one

- RE-Save

Then Reload the main DWG ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

@Arkctic wrote:
Done audit and purge and recover, cannot do a rebuild of the offending X ref, as the drawing has come in from an outside source

-PURGE the regapps out?

Message 6 of 6
braudpat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello

- SCALELISTEDIT and delete all Scales except the current one - Re-Save - Please have you done this ?

- If you haven't any vertival applications and if you don't need to send back the DWG to the supplier

and its vertical application, GO  !!

-PURGE  R  ...

and remove all Regs Apps !!

In all cases, you have a copy/backup of the original DWG, so ...

- Please number of LineTypes ?

Have you too much ? Or is it OK ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost