AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 21 of 32 (1,499 Views)

Re: freezes every few seconds, not hardware problem it seems

09-27-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: knmdk

For commands that can be normal.  Not everything is loaded at start-up, some commands not loaded until they are called hence the slight delay the first time through.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
knmdk
Message 22 of 32 (1,492 Views)

09-27-2012 11:54 AM in reply to: dgorsman

I've got autosave off, Autodesk 360 off and I'm constantly using those commands. I also notice AutoCAD 2013 becomes painfully slow after a while. I'm doing only 2D linear drafting. Speed gets back to normal once I restart the app. Can that kind of problem (well, problems) be related to graphics card driver?

Active Contributor
lfried
Message 23 of 32 (1,487 Views)

09-27-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: knmdk

More like system RAM; it's being cached until you close the program which releases the cache.

How much RAM do you have in your computer?

What's your pagefile settings?

Valued Contributor
knmdk
Message 24 of 32 (1,481 Views)

09-27-2012 01:07 PM in reply to: lfried

lfried wrote:

More like system RAM; it's being cached until you close the program which releases the cache.

How much RAM do you have in your computer?

What's your pagefile settings?

I've got 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. As far as I remember I've disabled swap file after Windows 7 installation. I belive I've read somewhere it's recommended disabling swap file for running Windows 7 from SSD. However I've double-checked the virtual memory setting and it says "Automatically manage paging file size". I'll double-check with the guide I've used previously. In case I did some registry change for swap file configuration.

Another suspecious thing I noticed recently: with this fresh new setup I'm getting like 1-1,5 GB of temporary files (you see it if you use "Clean-up drive" on Windows 7 system hard drive). I only work in AutoCAD, no Internet or other applications on that computer.

Active Contributor
lfried
Message 25 of 32 (1,479 Views)

09-27-2012 01:12 PM in reply to: knmdk

You don't want to disable your paging file with an SSD.

When SSD's first were coming out, there were low write limits to the drives so you wanted to disable your pagefile. With todays SSD's, it's actually recommended to leave it with Win7's OOTB settings, especially when you have large amounts of RAM.

Mine runs smoother with Windows-Managed pagefile than without. We've got the OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD's.

Contributor
jody_vaclav
Message 26 of 32 (1,301 Views)

11-20-2012 12:13 PM in reply to: lfried

Still no answer? Mine is doing the same thing. On some of my 3D drawings it takes almost a minute and a half between commands. It's driving me crazy and making the program all but unsuable. :smileymad: I've got my IT guys working on upgrading my 8 gigs of ram to 36 gigs in hopes that will make a difference. Autodesk, if you're listening, please help!

Active Contributor
lfried
Message 27 of 32 (1,295 Views)

11-20-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: jody_vaclav

As stated at the bottom of page 2, "Our fix, so far, was a combination of things done on the network and servers since it started around Patch Tuesday. Exactly what was done, we don't know."

Start at page one, post one, and do all the things recommended to us.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 28 of 32 (1,292 Views)

11-20-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: jody_vaclav

Hi,

>> On some of my 3D drawings it takes almost a minute and a half between commands

Do you have an idea what the difference is between your drawings that don't have the problem and the drawings that have not? If you speak about "some drawings" ... are these always the same ones or does it differ like today this drawing was ok and yesterday it was bad?

If you have such "bad drawings" what have you tried with that drawings? Things like _WBLOCK, _AUDIT, _RECOVER (or _RECOVERALL if you have XRefs in it)?

Do you have the option of trying these drawings on another workstation?

Have you tried to use another AutoCAD-profile, if that does not help another chance might be to start Windows with another user-account and try AutoCAD in that context.

A principal question also to your system: what system-specs do you have ... and big question: you have installed the service-pack?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
lfried
Message 29 of 32 (1,289 Views)

11-20-2012 12:22 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Also, 36GB of RAM is way way overkill for an AutoCAD system. I'm using 16GB and noticed no gain coming up from 12GB.

Contributor
jody_vaclav
Message 30 of 32 (1,283 Views)

11-20-2012 12:26 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My AutoCAD starts out not having any problem at all ... pretty fast overall, but the more I work on a drawing, the slower it gets. On 2D drawings, it takes about 10 commands before I can percieve the program slowing down. On complex 3D drawings it is almost immediately after I open it up and start working. (please see post: Computer Freezes between commands) I'm in hopes that upgrading my RAM will make a vast difference on my computers performance and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.:smileyindifferent:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube