Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions on DIM layer automatically

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
6338 Views, 9 Replies

dimensions on DIM layer automatically

A few weeks ago I upgraded form AutoCAD 2006 to 2014.  In 2006 there was no way in native AutoCAD to have any dimensions automatically put on the DIM layer regardless of the current layer and then, after the command, return back to the current layer.  For example, if the current layer is VIS and a dimension is created, that dimension would be put on the DIM layer; when the dimension command is completed, layer VIS would still be current.  In 2006 I had to install a special .lsp routine to do this.

This seems very basic to me.  Doesn't just about everyone put all their dimensions on a seperate layer?  Shouldn't AutoCAD do this natively?

So, when I got 2014 I thought for sure dimensions on DIM layer would be a feature.  It doesn't seem to be; at least I can't figure out how to do it if it is. Am I missing something? Is this possible, and, if so, how?  If not, does anyone have a suggestion of how to accomplish this? (the .lsp routine I used in 2006 isn't working consistently well in 2014 and I can't figure that out either-maybe it's time for me to retire!)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

I've made myself a tool palette with all the dimension commands on it. I've also set it up so they are automatically put on a layer called dimensions. If this layer doesn't exist Autocad creates it.

The layer that I'm on before I put the dim on does not change after I've finished putting the dim on. You might want to try going down that path.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Yes, that is what I did in 2006. Did you have to write a .lsp routine or other customization to have the dimensions put on the DIMENSION layer? Or is there a way to set it up in 2014 that doesn't require that?
Message 4 of 10
nestly2

No lisp or customization needed with Tool Palettes.  Just drag  dimension (that's already on the correct layer) onto the tool palette, and after that, any dimesion started from the Tool Palette will automatically be placed on that layer regardless of which layer is current.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Do not understand. How do I "drag dimension"?
Message 6 of 10
hwalker

I've attached my dimensions XTP file (just change the .txt extension to .XTP). I only use LT so no lisp routines, but it should work no problem in full Autocad

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you.
Message 8 of 10
nestly2

Just select an existing dimension, and drag/drop it onto a Tool Palette  (TP at the command line)

TPDimensions.gif

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you. Very helpful.
Message 10 of 10
kirankumarg85QKB

Just use DIMLAYER Command in command line and change layer for your dimensions

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost